Good Friday Collection... when?
  • canadashcanadash
    When was the collection taken up at your parish, if you had one? Since the instruction is not in the missal, I found this confusing.
  • Allan DAllan D
    We had the collection immediately after the adoration of the cross. No announcement or anything; the ushers just walked up after the last person in line.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • marajoymarajoy
    Ours was awkwardly immediately after the homily, in silence. But then, I think that the veneration of the cross flowed nicely into the preparation of the gifts/altar.
    I think anywhere you do it, it's going to be awkward. At my last church, we did it *after* the veneration, and either right with or right before the altar stuff.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you. For the last few years, we have been having it after the veneration, which made sense to me, because Offertory on Sunday leads into the sacrifice of the Mass. This year we had the collection after the intercessions, before the veneration, which seemed unfamiliar. But as you said Mara, the veneration flowed nicely into the "dressing" of the altar.
  • CharlesW
    We have it after veneration. It is a special collection for Christians in the Holy Land.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BenBen
    We had the collection directly before the veneration, with the choir singing O Sacred Head Surrounded. Instead of the usual gift proession, the ushers just kept it in back.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • We also had the collection right before the veneration. The choir sang God So Loved the World. It worked well because while the collection was taken, the bishop went to the back of the church and prepared to process with the cross.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • We did ours right after the solemn intercessions, with an English Vexilla Regis set to DUGUET.
  • JDE
    We also did it right after the homily, and I sang "Thy Rebuke hath broken his Heart" and "Behold and see" from Messiah.
  • Same as Ben, Andrew, bto and JDE, after intercessions, with Palestrina "O crux ave."
  • It's all just a big blur now, but I THINK it was after Communion. Which was confusing in itself. This particular collection is the ONLY time, in the whole year, that you will hear Amazing Grace sung in our little Church. It's a strange little tradition, with a strange little story...