Presentation of Holy Oils at Holy Thursday Evening Mass...SHOULD IT HAPPEN?
  • Hello all! I am the new 'liturgist' and am trying to add solemnity to our Ord. Form Holy Thursday Evening Mass. What is your opinion of the so-called 'Presentation of Holy Oils' (which evidentally happens at Offertory). I've never heard of it before, it's not in the new GIRM, and it's something this parish has done before, certainly last year. Should we axe it? Should I suggest it? It seems kind of disjointed from the Triduum theme and hokey to me... God bless!
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I personally don't like it, but it is an approved rite.
  • I see it in every parish, even the most faithful....but I don't see it in any ritual book (except for in the Missal at the Chrism Mass). I'd love to see a citation that shows it's an approved rite.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Per our diocesan liturgy office, it is NO LONGER approved, as it has been removed from the new Roman Missal.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Ah, I wasn't aware. Our diocesan liturgist has said nothing like that. It was on the USCCB website, but there's other questionable stuff on there as well. Thanks for the heads up.
  • fp
    PGA, do you have any link to that information? .....in my parish they use "ideas" printed in "liturgical magazines" who promote their own products.....and I have been looking for a reference from USCCB or the Vatican? (The USCCB still suggests a rite before Mass)
    Thanks,
    FP
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Well, as for the USCCB website, if you read it, it says that the reception takes place BEFORE (bolded) the mass of the Lord's Supper or at another time. So it does not take place during that mass, as has been the custom in many places. I suppose it could happen as the "prelude" to the mass, but that would be a bit weird.

FB, refer to the link posted on the USCCB site. It makes it clear that it doesn't happen during the mass.
  • BenBen
    Here's is what the Missal says about the issue.

The reception of the Holy Oils may take place in individual parishes either before the celebration of the Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper or at another time that seems more appropriate. - Rubric no. 15 for the Chrism Mass
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Ally
    We have moved it to the beginning of the Mass - they are coming in with the entrance procession, so at least it is before the sign of the cross. I wish we could move to a "pre-procession", which would be a little weird, but may be a good compromise if you do need to include it...
    I think next year, I will have the choir sing the Introit AFTER this - so have this big procession, with a hymn, then present the oils, THEN the priest can go reverence the altar while we sing the Introit. Then it definitely is "before" the Mass. What do you think?
  • My parish will be doing it before Mass - before the Introit - per archdiocese of Detroit instructions...
    Thanked by 1cmbearer
  • fp
    So....in my hometown: "at another time that seems more appropriate" will be understood as "whenever I feel like it"......unfortunately!
    FP
  • Thank you, Ben. The other problem is that there is no approved "Rite of Reception of Holy Oils" from the Holy See that I know of....so conferences, dioceses, or even parishes can make up their own (and do). Of course, as always, I'm willing to be corrected.
  • Maureen
    The holy oils should go to church and be put away safe as soon as you get back with 'em from the bishop's Chrism Mass. Any formal reception should be then. Making a big deal of a fake reception of the holy oils means that the real reception of the holy oils (when they get to the parish) is devalued by everyone. I bet they just stick 'em any old where in the sacristy or something, until the official "reception"; and that's just not right.

Well, maybe that's a bit harsh. But honestly, that whole fad for waving around the chrismatory bottles was creepy.
  • BenBen
    @Adam,

For better or for worse, I believe you're right. And seeing that it is outside of Mass, it's even less regulated.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    This ritual seems to be coming back this year, a bit last moment to consider a polyphonic O Redemptor sume carmen. I wonder, though, if anyone has English (here, of course) and or Spanish verses?
  • a_f_hawkins
    The current USCCB advice is here. A relatively modest interruption at the very beginning of Mass if your aumbry is on the sanctuary. Ours is not and even in our very small church a procession to and from the baptistry would be a distraction from the 'main event'.