Organ method book recommendation?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Do any organists have a particular recommendation for a method for teaching organ? (To someone who is already relatively accomplished on the piano.)

I myself used the Gleason book, (but that was a long time ago, so I'm not super comfortable with it! And a new copy is $130! yikes!)
    A friend has recommended the Flor Peeters "Little Organ Book," (which on amazon is only $10! But I have never even seen it in person.)
    And a university professor I know recommends the Roger Davis "red book" "The Organists Manual." ($60)

Any thoughts on these or other books?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I thoroughly endorse "The Organists Manual", especially for someone who is already a decent pianist. It's what I used (and am still using).
  • BruceL
    Mara, there is already a big thread on this somewhere...I'm not sure how the new search function works. THe Davis is what most people use now.
  • The "Organ Technique: Modern and Early" has great exercises and pieces, and I appreciate how it breaks everything down for you.
  • You can get an older edition of the Gleason which is much cheaper and works just as well.
  • I highly recommend the "red book". I used it, and I use it with my organ students.
  • marajoymarajoy
    This might be the thread referenced--
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/5252/organ-method/p1
    but it's not only rather short, but it doesn't seem to come to a consensus. (And the question seems to have been asked for a student with *no* piano background.)
  • canadashcanadash
    I used the "red book." I'm still not a good organist, but that was not due to the book. It is simple to follow, thorough and affordable.
  • Clarence Dickinson, The technique and art of organ playing, 1922, is still a great work and readily available on Amazon.

• The Davis book in my opinion is excellent because the repertoire is diverse and well-selected, the pieces are long enough as to be satisfying and useful when learned and yet not so long so as to make the student feel overwhelmed, and the pieces are high quality and represent the best composers of each era (Scheidt, Bach, Vierne, Matthias, etc.)

I would also add that the pieces are well-edited, and Davis doesn't try to impose one particular style of playing, at least so far as I can remember.

One of the problems I have with the Gleason method is he heavily edited and fingered early music pieces with legato fingerings (substitutions and the like) as a "teaching tool", whereas I assert that one should be taught the proper performance practice for the style of the piece.
  • CharlesW
    The Davis book is good, but the Peeters book is great if you don't have a lot of money to spend.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • jpal
    +1 to the Ritchie/Stauffer recommended by Jeffrey Coggins. I have an old edition of the Gleason, and it looks pretty good too. However, I still prefer the former, which was (and still is) my text.
  • Can anyone recommend a "chorus with organ (or harpsichord) accompaniment" score for Bach's Magnificat? specifically, for the Gloria at the end? I have a couple scores with piano accompaniment but need a score for a 4-octave keyboard.
    thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The James R. Jennings edition listd at CPDL is available here, although you will have to download the NWC viewer (link at that site) to view and print it out.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Also, there is the Karl Straube edition (c. 1910) available here at IMSLP.
  • Thank you! the Jennings edition is just what we need, much appreciated.

While we're chatting -- do you have any suggestions for a pianist/organist who can't reach the footpedals? My chapel drafted me (pianist) as accompanist a couple years ago, and everything's going great except my feet dangle a couple inches above the footpedals -- is a shorter bench the answer? but then how does one play the manuals easily? Do short people not become organists?? I want to learn heel/toe pedaling -- but maybe toe alone is the best I can hope for? Any advice is welcome, thanks again.
  • Jeffrey, do you have a site where I can find them? sounds like a perfect solution, but all I could find on the internet are piano pedal extensions for small children. Thank you!
  • Don't overlook Sir John Stainer's late-19th-century primer, called simply The Organ (readily available secondhand, and quite possibly scanned into a PDF file somewhere on the Net by now). I have encountered some players who regard the Stainer book as contemptibly old-fashioned. More fools they. Stainer's pedal exercises, in particular, are really effective workouts, and are apt to reveal holes in one's technique which more glamorous and more recent productions often won't do.
  • Thanks for the link to the organ pedal extenders -- definitely worth trying. And the Stainer book is excellent -- the footpedal exercises in it are what I want to practice, they make perfectly good sense. But he emphasizes correct bench height if you're going to use his techniques. BTW, does anyone use an adjustable bench? if so, why and with what results?
  • marajoymarajoy
    When I was in school, all of the organs had adjustable benchs. (A couple just had wood blocks.) The wood blocks were more annoying, but obviously with so many organists using the organs, something was needed at every organ to adjust the bench. So there's the why, and the results were that everyone was happy and able to sit at the bench properly. I'm not sure why you would need an adjustable bench if you were the only one- wood blocks would be just fine if you never had to change it once it was set to the correct height.
  • does anyone use an adjustable bench? if so, why and with what results?

My legs are long. So, if it's not at a distance of 25 inches above the pedals, then I can't play them properly.
  • CharlesW
    I have been somewhat blessed where adjustable benches are concerned. The "AGO" setting on the dial is exactly where I need the bench to be.

Thanks for the link on the Stainer. I need to check that one out.
  • Many thanks for all your comments -- I needed a sanity check, because although books say "get bench at proper height," no one ever says what happens if you can't get it to the proper height. Bottomline seems to be that if the bench's not the right height for you, you have to somehow solve that problem to play the pedals correctly.

Given that I can't saw a few inches off the organ bench at our chapel -- or drill and screw extenders on the pedals, although that sounds great -- my solution is to get a bench made that fits me and learn the footpedals with Stainer's techniques. I'll worry about seeing the music and playing the manuals from 3 inches down later.....:).