What should I own?
  • canadashcanadash
    I need a list of hymnals, sources etc. that I should own. I'm starting with the Graduale. Please add!
  • chonakchonak
    Can you describe your situation a little?
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Just a choir director in a Catholic Church. Mine is an SATB choir. We are starting to sing some chant. There are Masses here for all of the feast days. I want to sing more of the Latin Chants and better understand the liturgy of the Mass.
  • BenBen
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • For general reading: The Spirit of the Liturgy
    Mahrt's The Musical Shape of the Liturgy (on Kindle now and later to be released in book form, I believe)

Hymnals: Adoremus is a really good starting point. Vatican II Hymnal is too.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • Gregorian Missal
    Simple English Propers
    Vatican II Hymnal
    Lumen Christi Missal
    St. Michael's Hymnal (currently lacks organist edition)
    Liber Usualis or Graduale Romanum
    Dr. Mahrt's book
    Dom Johner's work
    Parish Book of Chant
    Liber Cantualis
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Cantus Selecti (Solesmes)
    This is a huge (yet compact and affordable) resource with many chants that are not found in the "Cantualis" or PBC.
    As far as chant is concerned, after the Liber Usualis or Graduale Romanum, I would make sure I had the PBC and Cantus Selecti. Choosing the PBC over the Cantualis.
    All the best,
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Other than the excellent titles mentioned above, I would also suggest reading "Gregorian Chant, a guide" by Dom Daniel Saulnier, translated by Edward Schaefer and published by CMAA.
    Also take the time to download and read:
    Tra le sollecitudini (Motu Proprio, St Pius X 1903)
    Musicae Sacrae (Encyclical, Ven. Pius XII 1955)
    Sacrosanctum Concilium (Vatican 2 Constitution of the Sacred Liturgy, 1963)
    Musicam Sacram (Instruction, Sacred Congregation of Rites, 1967)
    Chirograph of Blessed John Paul II on the Centenary of Tra le Sollectudini (2003)
    Cheers,

Peter
  • YES! Have the docs in a notebook, with the important parts highlighted, and keep it with you at all times.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Kathy
    The Summit Choirbook
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you. This is an extensive list and will have lots to read over the next year(s).
  • Arlene Oost-Zinner's Simple English Psalms for Mass
    JMO's Chabanel Psalms
    Noel Jones's The Catholic Choirbook
    Richard Rice's Communio with English verses
    Richard Rice's Simple Choral Gradual
    Thanked by 2canadash Ragueneau
  • Maureen
    Reading list, library... same thing!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • JahazaJahaza
    The Missal

Peter Elliott, Ceremonies of the Modern Roman Rite
    Peter Elliott, Ceremonies of the Liturgical Year

Also Fortescue, Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Another vote here for the Gregorian Missal (pdf, but you'll want to order the book too).
    Also, AOZ and Jeffrey T.'s "Idiot's Guide to Square Notes" (pdf).
    Beyond that, the PBC as mentioned above, and Rice's Communio with English verses (see bottom of page for individual files and for a link to ordering a bound copy).
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Paul_D
    Now that you have had all these excellent recommendations, may I offer some advice on how to get started?

Order enough copies of the Gregorian Missal for everyone in the choir. Since some of the choir are Latin-phobic, the GM’s English translations will sooth their nerves. (Download for now – make a big deal out of it when the books arrive – have them blessed).

During Holy Week, have them sing all the familiar stuff from the GM – Ubi caritas, Pange lingua, Crux Fidelis, the Alleluia at the Vigil Gospel, the Alleluia optional communio, the Ite missa est, the Victimae paschali laudes. See how much they know already! It will help make the point that this is the real stuff, the ritual music of the Roman rite, not just stuff you are picking from some hymn book.

Pick one challenging antiphon – I recommend Christus factus est, because it is monumental and magnificent and you get two runs at it – Palm Sunday and Good Friday. Teach them to sing it sensitively and beautifully.

Have your best cantor(s) or a schola (of young people perhaps?) sing a few other pieces, like the Palm Sunday tract (stirring) and the Vigil at the 7th reading Sicut cervus (ravishing – who wants yet another bland responsorial psalm when you can have this?)

Sort of but not exactly “baby steps”; you have to pace yourself at the start. Less is more for now. Help them to enjoy singing chant beautifully, then the rest will fall into place.
    As for reading/library material, yes, all magisterial documents as above, and throw in Ed Schaefer’s Catholic Music Through the Ages, and Anthony Ruff’s Sacred Music and Liturgical Reform.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Thank you Paul. That is very practical and helpful advice!
  • RobertRobert
    Canadash based on your description of your situation, the most important book you should own (in addition to the Graduale Romanum) is the Graduale Simplex. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. The Simplex takes you straight into singing the Mass as opposed to singing at Mass, and straight into singing authentic chant. It is unfortunately a bit pricey but worth the investment as you will get a lot of use out of it over the years.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • francis
    We should assemble the Sacred Music Starter Pack, all the necessary books in one order to get going...
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • ryandryand
    -ICEL chants, with accompaniment (official website includes these, JMO has a more "standard" format of the same options on CCWatershed)
    -Chabanel Psalms (again, CCWatershed)
    -SEP
    -internet connection and MusicaSacra + CPDL bookmarked
    -printer

Looking at this list (which is my current bag-o-tricks), I'm tempted to ask what else is needed?

(as a "minimum repertoire," of course!)
    Thanked by 2canadash Ragueneau
  • - downloadable books via the iTunes Store.
    Thanked by 1canadash