Two Handel compositions - Sacred Music? - Apt for church service?
  • WGS
    I received a question by USPS from someone concerning two compositions by Handel:

Let the Bright Seraphim
    and
    Oh, Had I Jubal's Lyre

"Is one or the other or are both classified as sacred music such as could be sung in a church service?"

I'm not familiar with either composition, and I have no idea as to what kind of a church service is considered. However, I would presume that the inquirer is interested in something related to the Ordinary Form of the Catholic liturgy.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Let the Bright Seraphim is from the Handel oratorio "Sampson" and has the lyrics:

Let the bright Seraphim in burning row,
    Their loud uplifted Angel-trumpets blow:

Let the Cherubic host, in tuneful choirs,
    Touch their immortal harps with golden wires.

Oh, Had I Jubal's Lyre is from his oratorio "Joshua" and has the lyrics:

Oh, Had I Jubal's Lyre, or Merriam's tuneful voice.

To sounds like his, I would aspire, to sounds like his I would aspire
    In songs like hers, in songs like hers
    Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice,
    In songs, In songs, in songs, rejoice, rejoice, in songs like hers, rejoice.

Oh, Had I Jubal's Lyre, or Merriam's tuneful voice.

To sounds...to sounds, like his I would aspire
    In songs, like hers, in songs like hers,
    rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, rejoice
    in songs like her rejoice

My humble strains but faintly, how much to heavn' and thee I owe
    how much to heavn' and thee I owe.

Both oratorios are considered "sacred" oratorios (just as "Messiah" or "Solomon" or Mendelssohn's "Elijah" are so considered) - although perhaps the term "biblical" oratorio might also be used.
  • I think one's common sense should prevail here. English oratorios were originally banned from church buildings and restricted to theaters. They are actually religious theater music. That said, if the text is appropriate and the length not overbearing for a "motet slot" at Mass, then I don't see any real problem. My own sense is that the first of these would OK, but the second is iffy.
    Thanked by 1CCooze