help- common communion chants in OF
  • I'm sorry for a repeat post. Perhaps my questions will help someone else.
    Who can point me to a list of Communion 'commons' or short list of always acceptable, and even repeatable Communion chants in the OF?
    Are there also options like this for other propers?
    I remember ARISTOTLE knowing about this, but for the life of me I can't find it through the search function...

I ask because I am putting together music for a three-day Latin OF conference, and I'd frankly rather not learn three full sets of propers if I don't have to. On top of my EF job with 3 sung masses already that week, I think my head might swim a little too much.

Normally, I eschew the over-optioning in the OF. But hey, I'm a practical gal... and if its licit, I'm exploring it!
    Any help is appreciated!
  • quilisma
    Have a look at p.391 of a Graduale Romanum (1974), there's a list of ad lib communion antiphons there.

For the other propers, it would not be unresonable to use the same one several times - I think this is the principle behind the Graduale Simplex, which has seasonal antiphons.
  • dvalerio
    The Graduale Simplex also has, at the end, a few communions that may be repeated always: psalm 33 (Benedicam Dominum in omni tempore), sung either with an antiphon (Gustate et videte outside Easter Time, Alleluia during Easter Time) or without an antiphon; psalm 22 (Dominus regit me) with an antiphon (Ego sum panis vivus); hymn Ubi caritas; the Magnificat with an antiphon (which I cannot now recollect); hymn Pange lingua (and I believe this is all; I do not have the GS here in front of me to check). If you need I can try to post any of those here.
  • BenBen
    You might look into the simplex, which are both seasonal, and simple enough to learn more of them if you run into a saint's feast day or something.

Also, in the SEP index (and I'm sure the graduale), there's a list of "Eucharistic antiphons to be used ad libitum",
    and I believe these are in the new PBC as well. Here's the incipits from that list.

Mode Incipit. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SEP Page #
    8 Ego sum vitis vera. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 125
    3 Gustate et videte. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 174
    8 Hoc corpus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 96
    1 Manducaverunt. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 203
    5 Panem de cælo. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 270
    1 Panis quem ego dedero. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 274
    6 Qui manducat. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 167
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • Thanks, everyone! The Graduale list will work well. And I will use things from the Gr Simplex.
    It's a multiple-language conference, and they've specifically asked for Latin, so no SEP this time.
    But the lists in SEP and PBC are useful.
  • bgeorge77
    For future reference, the chants listed above can be found in the following free resources, among other places:

The Simple English Propers-- English, Simple, like the name says.

Communio: Latin antiphons with English verses, by Richard Rice.

Communio: Latin antiphons and verses
  • MaryAnn: The rubrics for the 1974 Graduale in the Ordo Cantus Missae state that propers from a given "season" may be used for any liturgy in a given season. So there is your permission. The question becomes selecting chants that are more seasonal in nature than others. With a little intuition I'm sure you can make good selections of "seasonal" propers from the Graduale. As for general use Communions, the list above is probably the best. The Introits and Offertories often have more general themes and could be sung in a seasonal manner pretty easily if need be.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • Adam, as I don't have an Ordo Cantus Missae, are the rubrics in that exactly the same as the praenotanda of the 1974 Graduale Romanum? I had been led to believe that the praenotanda had no value as liturgical law. If they are repeated in the OCM, I suppose that they would.
  • chonakchonak
    They are the same; I have a copy of the OCM and checked; they are the same, except that paragraphs 19-21 from OCM are omitted in the Graduale. For those, see my translation.
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • BenBen
    @Adam

Really? That makes SEP much more useful! (Maybe you could even put that paragraph on the SEP website? I'm sure many would like to know that).

Where is this specifically (paragraph numbers would be great, if you have them)?
  • Yes, this permission is surprising, but it has to be understood of course in light of the propers being "proper". Some situations might mean that you cannot pull off the singing of 5 new propers each week, so permission is there to help get us through practical situations, but the goal should always be to sing the "proper" proper.

The operative rule here, it seems to me, is that it is better to sing the propers effectively within the capacity of those who you are working with than to sing all propers "because they're prescribed". In other words, this permission gives us a nice tool to begin singing liturgical chant from the proper of the Mass in a way that can ease us in to it, rather than making the leap and finding ourselves in a "sink or swim" situation. Some swim, but unfortunately many have also sunk. So we can make use of this provision to get us from point A to point B. It should never be a destination. It's "pastoral", which means it guides us somewhere, toward a goal. It doesn't meet us where we are at and leave us there.

Anyway, just some passing thoughts. This idea could be huge for the reintroduction of propers though. I don't think many are aware of it. It can be found at the very end of the Introduction of the Ordo Cantus Missae (also Graduale Romanum) which is a typical edition of the Roman Rite, bearing the status of liturgical law.
  • Adam,

Would it be possible to consider making a booklet (maybe a kind of Propers starter kit) or maybe adding a section to later editions of the SEP with "Ad Libitum" Introits and Offertories as well as Communions. I know my choir and congregants may get confused and distracted if they see we're doing the propers from a different week.

Also, would it be possible to get SEP Propers for votive and common Masses, like a Saturday Memorial of the Blessed Virgin, or the Common of Pastors? These could be very helpful to me atleast.

God reward you for all you're doing!

• BenBen
    Having SEP propers for commons would be very nice, especially since during OT, the propers are on a weekly basis, besides the feasts. 
  • I am assembling the Propers for the Commons. Thus Far, I have Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit. I hope to also complete the other commons: Common of Holy Men, Common of Virgins, Common of Pastors, Common of Martyrs. Hopefully most of the chants for these are already within the SEP, it is just a matter of knowing which ones to use!