Epiphany Proclamation
  • Does anyone have an audio or video tutorial for the Proclamation of the Dates of Easter? Since I am still shaky on music, I need help.
  • BenBen
    PDF
    Mp3 from NPM

BG, bookmark this link: I think it'll frequently help you. :)
  • And, for your quick reference, here are the lists of dates for that proclamation for 2011:

Ash Wednesday: February 22
    Easter: April 8
    Ascension (if on Thursday): May 17
    Ascension (if on Sunday): May 20
    Pentecost: May 27
    Corpus Christi: June 10
    First Sunday of Advent: December 2
  • BenBen
    I'm singing this next week. Do we use the Thursday or Sunday date for the Ascension?
  • Ben, it depends on when your diocese celebrates the Ascension. Oh, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I have been supplanted by a Mariachi group for next Sunday's Mass. AARRGGG! So much for beauty and nobility.
  • The Metropolitan has the power to transfer it to Sunday in his province. I checked, Ben, and you guys have it transferred to Sunday.
  • BenBen
    I actually checked with a well-read seminarian today at Mass, and he said that even if it's transferred, you can still use the Thursday date or the Sunday date for the proclamation. And obviously, if it's transferred, you use the Thursday.

Very interesting...
  • BenBen
    Since I put it together, I mind as well share it. It ain't be pretty, but it gets the job done.
  • I think you're a little mixed up. Thursday is the default, but the Metropolitan can transfer it to Sunday.
  • BenBen
    That's what I meant. :)
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Ben, thanks so much for annotating the document as you did! Honestly, I'm rather surprised how I've not been able to find this elsewhere on the internet… I recall seeing the music, or at least the text, available on the USCCB site in previous years.

The PDF you shared seemed to be a bit fuzzy, so I've re-done it in nearly exactly the same format as you did and am sharing it here. (For Ascension, I simply put "seventeenth" in capitals and "twentieth" underneath for the reasons explained previously in this thread.)

(Tech note: The permissions on the original PDF were pretty tight, and I couldn't simply use the "typewriter" tool in Adobe Reader or Apple Preview. I did this instead using Graphic Converter.)

Am I correct that this seems to be a Mode Three chant?
  • It's basically the same tone as the Exsultet. Mark M., the music and the text for this year's proclamation is indeed on the USCCB site. However, for some reason they haven't gotten with their own new translations; they're still using the proclamation from the old translation (which they also had posted for the Christmas Proclamation).

At first I chalked it up to "They're busy; they haven't gotten around to changing out the translations on the websites." Then I realized that the Epiphany Proclamation (old translation) on the USCCB site contains this year's dates. What gives?
  • I can't open the document!!!!!!! AARRGGH!
  • Mark K
    Greetings - thank you for discussing this. I'm confused about what version to use and where to place the proclamation. For my parish, I would sing this after the prayer after communion (an option in the USCCB old version) and I'd probably use the revised version. Does this sound OK? I'm from Canada but can't find any information on our CCCB site. I'd welcome any advice you can provide.
    Happy New Year!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Andrew M., I'd be curious to see that old translation… but try as I might, I can't find it on the USCCB website. Care to point me in the right direction?
  • Mark K
    Mark M - the 2011 proclamation can be viewed here http://old.usccb.org/liturgy/lityearresources.shtml
  • Mark K
    Oops - try this. http://old.usccb.org/liturgy/epiphany2011.pdf
  • I can't seem to find this year's, either. My pastor had one he got from the USCCB site, including this year's dates, but I can't find it now. Maybe they took it down. The Christmas Proclamation is still up, though.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Mark K. — yes, that's exactly the document I remember seeing.

I gotta say… the "old" text is a bit more extensive and seems a bit more elevated than the new one. (I was going to quote them, but they're a bit extensive… I'll let those interested take a look at the PDFs linked above.)

Your thoughts? Which one is more faithful to the Latin?
  • The "new ICEL" is a pretty literal translation of the traditional "Noveritis" sung on Epiphany - it certainly has the more ancient pedigree. I don't know the source of the USCCB text which incorporates a brief lesson in liturgical theology into the chant.