Byzantine/Greek Chant "Graduale"?
  • Hello,

In attempting to learn Greek Byzantine chant, I've found some useful online resources for reading the notation, but I'm wondering if there's a Byzantine analogue to the Roman Gradual, perhaps used by Greek Orthodox cantors? Thanks for your help, and Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,

Stephen
  • Actually, no. There are many different anthologies for the Divine Liturgy, containing both "classical" and younger chant settings. It is a little bit complicated...
  • Thank you. Are you aware of any such anthologies online or otherwise? I'd like to read along with my recording of the Greek Byzantine Choir.
  • Tell me which recording is about, and I'll see for the notated sources.
  • These are the best I know:

The Divine Liturgy: An Anthology for Worship
    Rev. Peter Galadza, Editor-in-Chief; Joseph Roll, Associate Editor; J. Michael Thompson, Associate Editor; Rt. Rev. Roman Galadza; Rev. John Sianchuk, CSSR
    Published by The Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies
    A one-volume source for singing the Divine Liturgy in English with sections in Ukrainian. This book contains Sundays, Festal and Weekday Musical Settings for the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, Music for the Liturgy of Saint Basil the Great, the Hours in English, Propers for the Liturgical Year, Tables for Scriptural Readings, Hymns and Carols, Blessings and Other Brief Rites. Exquisite in appearance, the book carries the endorsement of Patriarch Lubomyr Husar. xiv, 1160 pp.
    Have a look at some sample PDF pages – Sample 1 – Sample 2
    ISBN 1-895937-12-4
    Order Code: BK200

The Divine Liturgy for Congregational Singing (2-CD Set)
    Featuring the Schola Cantorum of Saint Peter the Apostle in Chicago
    Prof. J. Michael Thompson, Conductor
    Published by The Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies
    This superb recording, by the renowned chorus, Schola Cantorum of Chicago, under the direction of J. Michael Thompson, includes the main sections of the book, The Divine Liturgy: An Anthology for Worship. All of the propers of the eight resurrectional tones are also recorded. Can’t read music, but want to become a cantor? Listen and learn. This recording is the first of its kind: educational, yet beautiful beyond words!
    Listen to a selection (mp3)
    Order Code: CD200

See http://www.sheptytskyinstitute.ca/?page_id=60