Your favorite setting of O Magnum Mysterium
  • kevinfkevinf
    Greetings all,

Care to share what your favorite setting of O Magnum Mysterium is? Am singing Poulenc this year, but I love the Victoria and enjoy the Lauridsen. Other settings you like?
  • Tie: Victoria/Poulenc. But my romantic heart edges toward Poulenc.
    Had the pleasure of conducting Skippy's OMM for Paul Salamunovich, though, 'twas cool.
  • Lauridsen and the Gregorian Responsory.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Palestrina setting is quite nice, and it's a two-part setting that has "Quem vidistis" as the Secunda Pars.

The Stadlmayr setting is also not bad, and has the additional benefit of not being difficult.

I'm not sure which setting of "O magnum mysterium" is my favorite - each of the ones mentioned so far is special in its own way.
  • BenBen
    The Lauridsen setting by far. I just love that piece.
  • Usually, when I think of O Magnum I'm thinking it to Palestrina's music -
    but this polychoral setting is not practical for most choirs.
    Victoria is of course always wonderful.

CHG - I don't know the Stadlmayr: can you say something about it?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Heath
    I think the Byrd is quite wonderful, also . . . it's always been lesser-known due to the popularity of the Victoria, but it's worth checking out.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Mine! I set this beautiful poem a few years ago (actually I've done it several times, but that one is the most successful so far) in college, and it was performed on a friend's choral recital. However, I absolutely love the Lauridsen and the Victoria, since the Victoria is the work that introduced me to this lovely text.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I should perhaps be recused, but Ann Callaway's setting (SATB with very slight divisi) is very dear to me, as is she herself. Stadlmayr and others are listed on CPDL; the Clemens not-a-potato 6-part setting is especially nice.
  • For listening, I've always been partial to the Victoria (Jordi Savall's accompanied rendition is notably intriguing) and the Lauridsen (Salamunovich/LA Master Chorale is the gold standard).

For a volunteer SATB church choir, I gravitate towards pieces that do not challenge singers' ranges. Based on this criterion the Victoria wins hands down, with the Stadlmayr and de Cristo settings deserving some consideration.
  • Mark P.
    Francis Poulenc's version is a favorite of mine. Only for an accomplished choir though.
  • Marc Cerisier
    I quite like Cesar Carrillo's setting, published by earthsongs. Here's the link:

http://www.earthsongschoralmusic.com/catitem.php?seqnum=100464
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • kevinfkevinf
    Frank LaRocca's setting is lovely. Its on his CD.