Matt Maher's "Mass of Communion"
  • a1437053a1437053
    http://www.worshiptogether.com/partners/index.aspx?iid=1892296

I have a question for you: If you planted a church 2000 years ago, what would it look like today? What prayers would you still be praying? What songs would you still be singing?

We live in a time, where even in the midst of so much freedom of expression and modern innovation in worship, there is a renewed interest in holding onto the songs and prayers of those who have gone before us.

In Christian worship, there are certain prayers, texts and songs that have been passed down from generation to generation — for example, Churches singing Old Hymns. With that comes a consistent desire to pay closer attention to detail, and sometimes, even to the translations we have of old texts.

In the Catholic Church, there was a large ecumenical council in 1961 called the Second Vatican Council. One of the major things that took place at this council was that they translated the Mass (the Catholic Liturgy) into the vernacular, or in our case here, in America, English. However, over the years, there came to be a realization that there needed to be a better translation of it; one that was more direct and intentional about what the people of God are saying and singing every Sunday. With that, there came a realization that the majority of Catholics who go to Church on Sundays aren't really aware of what they're singing, and why they're singing it. The teaching authority saw this realization as an opportunity to reach out and re-evangelize many Catholics who aren't really educated in, and therefore not practicing their faith.

So there's a new translation of "the Mass" coming out. These "mini songs" are actually service music. They serve different movements and moments that happen in more "Liturgical" settings — but they can be used in all sorts of settings with other denominations.

I hope they help your Churches worship and encounter the living God, who desires for us to know His son, our Lord Jesus.

Peace be with You!

Matt Maher
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Points for:
    -Introducing Catholic texts to P&W Protestants
    -Putting the new translation in a positive light, with regards to how it will help Catholics (and others) be more prayerful and engaged in their faith.

Not so hot:
    -His explanation of the mechanics of V2 and the old English translation is clearly inaccurate. Maybe he was just trying to simplify for his audience, which is probably fine.

Depends on your viewpoint:
    -the style here is, well.... you know
    -Ed Bolduc's P&W Mass Setting is way better. No offence to WLP or anything, but Maher clearly has a better PR team.
  • Adam, here's the big picture you don't mention:
    Maher's effort (marketing ploy to cross over from ContempRCMusic to "liturgy?", a Steubanville Frankenstein effort perhaps) is undermined by his own (which should be rightly called definitive and seminal) performance, which I find noxious and typically disinterested, as any good emo/alternative adherent should cling to. The Kyrie was palatable, but the Glory was an insult to the hymn text. And you already know how I feel about the Bolduc.
    I don't give a rip about Maher's street cred or explanations. If he wants to learn how not to be a tool, he can go spend a few months with Talbot in Arkansas.
    'Nuff said.