Sequence for the Second Sunday of Advent - in metrical english
  • Here is the Sequence for the Second Sunday Advent - Regnantem Sempiterna "Him who ruleth creation"
    It was used everywhere before the reformation.

This is one of my favourite Sequences for the Mass. It is so simple a baby could sing it, yet it also remains, I think, extraordinarily beautiful and satisfying. The melody found in the source I used is slightly distinct from some other graduals, but the basic melody remained intact throughout the centuries. A polyphonic/motet version exists too.

I include both neume and modern notation versions in the file, as well as latin (neume only there).

If anyone likes this or decides to sing it in a mass, I'd like to know how it was received, positively/negatively:

chrismcavoy@inbox.com
  • Can you convert this into a PDF? I am having trouble opening it. Is there an audio for this?
  • BenBen
    Chris, This forum has problems uploading Zip files. Could you upload it again here, and paste the code into the forums for us to use?
  • Whenever I attempt to upload as a .pdf file, the forum gives me an error message and will not allow it. This is why I chose a zip file, the forum stopped the error message and allowed the upload when converted to .zip.

"Some problems were encountered
    You are not allowed to upload (11-02 - Him Who ruleth creation (Sequence for the Second Sunday Advent) (11th c).pdf) the requested file type: application/x-download"

This is the error message I receive.
    Is there an expalanation for this?
    Perhaps I will try .jpg later.
  • I always get that same message.
  • I assumed that most people could download an "unzip" .zip files without much effort, is the zip format best to avoid using?

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1298581742/ccc048063cf72fcb755533202352fdfa

Does this link work for the time being?
  • BenBen
    Chris,

The problem is with this forum's attachment handling. Here is the PDF file:

11-02-him-who-ruleth-creation-(sequence-for-the-second-sunday-advent)-(11th-c).pdf
  • chonakchonak
    The sticky thread about file attachments has an explanation.
  • I was able to download it,thanks to Ben, but, if someone has an audio file, that would be great.
  • BenB
    benedictgal,

You can find the Latin sung on Youtube here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    May I suggest that center-justifying unevenly-sized rows of music is very hard to read and looks odd?
  • Here I attach a .zip file of two transposed corrected versions of the english version in modern notation.
    The modern notation version included in the first file had 2 minor transposing errors I made in it toward the end.

Adam, As far as center justifying unevenly sized rows of music...I dont know if I fully understand what you mean, but if it relates to my typesetting technique, all I can say is that I copy the method used in "The Early Medieval Sequence" by Richard Crocker.

Perhaps this is a good reason for someone else to take a try at typesetting the the same music, which I welcome. Sequences are a very neglected repertoire. There is a varying range of preferences.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The center-justification can draw attention to the paired line structure in a very obvious way. Odd, possibly, but "very hard to read" seems an exaggeration.