When will there be a new Lectionary?
  • Some may be interested in this communication I just received. This affects the so-called "Revised Grail" Psalms, which will not be inserted into the Lectionary until the Lectionary is revised, according to the Secretariat:

Date: Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Mr. O’Leary:

There is no plan to do a major revision of the Lectionary at this time. There are some minor adjustments that will be made to the Lectionary texts, but those will not result in anything more than a reprint of the current edition, and parishes will only need to purchase them when they are ready to replace worn-out volumes, which happens with all liturgical books at some time.

Msgr. Rick Hilgartner
    Executive Director
    Secretariat of Divine Worship
    United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
    3211 4th St. NE
    Washington, DC 20017
    voice: (202) 541-3060
    fax: (202) 541-3088
  • marajoymarajoy
    Interesting. So, from where are the rumors coming that the lectionary *will be* revised in the next few years?
  • Liam
    Probably because, among other things, it appears on their agendas in recent years, eg:

http://www.adoremus.org/1106Nov06Bishops.html
  • eft94530eft94530
    When will there be a new Lectionary?

Probably about one week after it has been determined that everyone
    who will purchase a new hardbound hymnal containing the Readings
    has received their shipment.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Just FYI, our current Lectionaries use the 1970 NAB (with changes by the Bishops) for the Responsorial Psalm and Antiphons from ICEL.

1970 NAB

And to him my soul shall live;
    my descendants shall serve him.
    Let the coming generation be told of the LORD
    that they may proclaim to a people yet to be born
    the justice he has shown.

Current NAB

And I will live for the LORD;
    my descendants will serve you.
    The generation to come will be told of the Lord,
    that they may proclaim to a people yet unborn
    the deliverance you have brought.

In my view, it would be wonderful if our Responsorial Psalms and Antiphons came from a real PSALTER one can purchase and hold and touch. Currently, they are a mismatch of various things. (See above example)
  • For those in touch with the zeitgeist on these things: when people speak of a "new Lectionary," are we just talking about minor things like changing out one psalter for another, or is there a sense that eventually they will actually want to change the assigned readings -- or, say, get rid of the "short forms" that are designed to leave out anything remotely challenging ... er, I mean, unpastoral. (Because, you know, Jesus was well known on Earth for his easy sayings and unconfrontational message.) I'm sure that somebody in Rome has to be sitting around ruing a few of the decisions that were made in 1970.
  • I think that the late, great Fr. Richard John Neuhaus made an excellent point about the need for a revised lectionary. The translation that we have in the United States is not good. JMO echoes the points that Fr. Neuhaus made in his article, Bible Babel.

Even the Antilles uses a better translation than we do, the CRSV. I hate to say it, but, we are stuck with a slipshod translation that is fueld by copyrights.