PBC questions
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I was thumbing through my Parish Book of Chant (remember that? seems to have been forgotten a bit amidst all these wonderful newer publications! it's soooo 2008…), and I had a few questions:
    1. In the "General Hymns and Chants" section, I'm not always clear as to when these chants are to be sung. I'm guessing that as hymns, they're generally not meant for the Mass itself. But specifically, I was thinking about "Christus Vincit" (No. 5 on p. 93) and was wondering if that could be sung after Communion on the Feast of Christ the King.
    2. On "Confirma Hoc" on p. 98, on the mode designation, I see "VIIIc." What's the "c" for?
    3. For "O Sanctissima" (p. 125), the text is given, but no notation. I am aware of the Sicilian melody hymn, but is there a chant hymn for this text, too?
    4. A similar question for the "Divine Praises" on p. 182… is there a chant for that text?
    5. For over two years now, I've been quite curious about something Richard Rice mentioned in an earlier thread about his own "spurious chant contribution to the PBC." What is it, pray tell?
    I'd greatly appreciate an answer to any of these… thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Mark!

1. "Christus Vincit" is certainly fitting on the Feast of Christ the King. GIRM 88 allows for singing after Communion:
    88. When the distribution of Communion is over, if appropriate, the Priest and faithful pray quietly for some time. If desired, a Psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the whole congregation.

I suppose it would be sung by the cantors and congregation alternating, but that's suitable.

It might also be a suitable chant for the recessional.

2. At Confirma hoc, the letter "c" in "viii c" refers to the particular psalm tone used on the Gloria Patri. There are several mode-8 psalm tones; this one ends on "do" (labeled as a "c" by the c-clef).
  • Interested in #5 myself, is it perhaps the triple alleluias on page 84?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    (shameless thread bump here)

Bgeorge, one of the triple alleluias was indeed written by a Benedictine priest (as noted in the thread I linked above). I'm thinking, though, that Mr. Rice's contribution lies elsewhere…

And chonak, thanks for the earlier replies. It's nice when my intuition is confirmed a bit!

Amidst the lovely conversations going on in the "batman" and "the spin" threads, if anyone would still care to share some thoughts on my questions above, it'd be much appreciated! (Otherwise, I'll dutifully let this thread fade away…)