SEP for All Saint's Day
  • JennyJenny
    Are there practice videos for the Simple English Propers for All Saint's Day? I have been looking in vain.

God willing, we might be using them with a small impromptu schola for the vigil Mass at our parish.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I do not believe so, at this time.
  • BenBen
    Here's one recording from when they were first getting started:

All Saints Introit SEP
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    These have been posted HERE.
  • JennyJenny
    Thanks Jeff,

At the request of our associate pastor, we did these for the vigil Mass of All Saints. It was just me and one other singer. We had very little rehearsal time and I was a bit nervous.
    At the suggestion of the music director, I gave a short explanation to the congregation about what was about to happen- what the propers are and why we use them in 4 sentences.

Our church is rather cavernous and the music seemed so small and plain when we started singing but we didn't have any trouble with the tunes. The congregation was small (about 70) so I couldn't get a sense of their reaction.

When Mass was over, I was startled when several people *rushed* up to us. I expected the worst but they were thrilled. One gentleman said "It was wonderful to be able to pray along with those texts." They all agreed that the music put their focus on the altar and the action there and allowed them to participate in the Mass in a very deep way.

Our music director is very excited to incorporate the SEP into more Masses. Thank you, Jeff!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jenny, even in a rather cavernous setting with good acoustics, one or two voices singing the Mass propers from the SEP can be (and apparently was) a special blessing for everyone.
  • I, too, used the Introit from the SEP but with less than glad reception. Before Masss I let the priest know that we were singing the proper introit to which he said "Wonderful!" Two days later at a meeting he complained that he couldn't sing along. Very disappointing, and after I had worked hard for 2 months to explain the Propers to him and the other parish musicians. I also regret not having the foresight to give that short explanation as you did, Jenny.