All Souls 2011: Office of the Dead at Vespers
  • I have worked on the proper Psalms and Antiphons in the vernacular and I thought I would share it with anyone who may wish to use it.

I have attached two sets of the Psalms/Canticle with Antiphons for the Office of the Dead at Vespers: one with Latin Antiphons and the other with English Antiphons based on the plainchant. Both use the English Psalms which I have pointed, but this is only a guide, obviously.

The Canticle I have embellished with a Falsobordone by Pietro Paolo Sabbatini.

Obviously, all of these sound better in Latin, but I find congregations appreciate being able to fully hear and understand the poetry of the psalms.

Please feel to use these if you think they are worthy.
  • Here they are with Latin Antiphons...

P.S. Sorry all the chant is in modern notation. I haven't found a decent chant notation software yet.
  • Donnaswan
    These are beautiful. I may use one of them for All Souls Necrology

Donna
  • "we use Rishard Rice's excellent Mag Antiphons..."

We do? How nice. About the first feedback I've gotten on those. Did I include one specifically for Requiem/All Souls?
  • G
    Lovely, thank you (not allowed to use them this year, but......)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • Dear Richard R,

Thank you for the Mag Antiphons - they're brilliant.

Alas, no I don't think you did one for the Office of the Dead (and on this occasion we aren't using yours), but when we can use yours, we do.

Keep up the fine work! I'm a big fan.
  • Well, you can save this for next year then, if you'd like. Best wishes.
  • Many thanks, we will use this year since you've been so very kind.
  • 'Tis that time again....