Church in San Diego area with quality music?
  • Heath
    A former student approached me yesterday and lamented the music he had to suffer through each Sunday in the San Diego diocese. Is there a refuge somewhere out that way? I don't know CA at all . . .
  • Are you kidding?
    St. Ann's, period. FSSP. MACarr, DM.
  • Mark P.
    Maybe Alison J. Luedecke, former organist at the Immaculata Chapel, could provide some guidance (alison@millenniaconsort.com).
  • Kathy
    St. Ann's (definitely) for EF, the old Mission for OF.
  • Of course I'm partial to St. Anne's. :)
    If he's a singer, please point him my way.

If he's in North County, St. Margaret's Oceanside or (hit and miss) St. Mary's in Escondido.

I like the Old Mission San Diego, also hit and miss as they don't pay cantors, etc. But it's beautiful, and I got married there 9 years ago today. :)

Also, Our Lady of the Rosary has a 4pm Latin OF on the second Sunday of each month.
  • Kathy
    I should have said the noon (choir) Mass at the Mission. Happy Anniversary, MA!!!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Happy Anniversary, MaryAnn!
  • Heath
    Thanks for this, friends . . . I'll pass along the info.
  • I was on holiday from U.K. 3 years ago. We went to Sunday Mass at the Cathedral. I am active in parish music at home and have a naive view that music at a main mass on Sunday in a cathedral will be the best that a city can produce. What a disappointment! Atruly terrible cantatrice largely singing solo a four hymn sandwich accompanied by a piano. Old cathedral in San Francisco tow Sundays previously was no better. Again a cantatrice, this time with backing group and again piano . The middle Sunday, in Santa Barbara mission was great, Feast of the Exaltation of th Cross
    -- lovely choir singing the Mass parts mostlly in Latin. Things are not good here in England but I found California
    very disappointing liturgy-wise.