Questions about Psalm 33 in the Graduale Simplex
  • I've got a couple of questions about the communion psalm (Psalm 33(34)) at the back of the Graduale Simplex.

1. Does any know where the chants came from? I've seen Tone 1 called Mozarabic chant. What's the background on these?

2. For Tone 2, one of the antiphons seems to say "Taste how good the Lord is". "By Flowing Waters" renders it "Taste and see how good the Lord is." ( I just remembered the antiphon translations in BFW are from ICEL. ) If I attempt a Spanish version, would it be a good idea to add the "and see" as in BFW?
  • *bump*

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the matter? Suggestions? Rants?
  • I've wondered about this as well. In the By Flowing Waters website, there is a list of where the various G.S. chants came from if they were pre-existing chants. The tone 2 antiphon is not listed as a chant that was found in some collection, so I've presumed that the antiphon was a modern composition. The verses are of course from the New Vulgate. I think that it is totally legit to place the "and see", as that is the actual psalm verse. Compare the wording of the similar antiphon in the G.R.
  • Thank you, Ioannes.
    I think I will go ahead and include the "and see" as you suggest. That is odd that they left if out if it's a modern composition. Thanks also for the info on the New Vulgate. I wasn't sure about that.