September 11, 2011
  • U.S. Colleagues: Do you have any advice or suggestions related to planning for OF Mass on Sunday, September 11? Our priest has indicated he would like "something patriotic" to commemorate the 10th anniversary but not necessarily "America the Beautiful." He suggested "This is my Song" (FINLANDIA). I would just as rather continue with Mass as usual - as a testament to the Lord's everlasting peace, (especially since everything is centered on Reconciliation anyway) but am aware of the need to remain sensitive to those who wish this day to be more reflective. Do you have any suggestions for choir alone? A nice Agnus Dei perhaps?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    A Choral, Patriotic Agnus Dei?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "This is my Song" is beautiful, and very worthwhile sentiments, considering the nationalistic tribalism that 9/11 (and etc) have engendered in our populace.

Not particularly liturgical, though.
    So, perhaps as a prelude?
    (unless not-particularly-liturgical music is normal in your parish, in which case- why not?)

--

Not exactly 9/11 pertinent, but when asked to do "Patriotic" music (last year July 4 was a Sunday) I'll do, for communion:
    -Let us break bread together
    -What wondrous love is this?
    -Simple Gifts

All grouped together in the program as "Three Early American Hymns"
  • Eternal Father, Strong to Save possibly?
  • matthewj - yes, i was unclear. the priest wants something patriotic, but i would rather invoke the Lord's mercy, if he is insistent on having something "Sept. 11 specific," as I personally feel that is what world terrorists and citizens of our nation, alike, need most right now. (So...the Agnus Dei was just an idea - something to present to him instead of "This is my song.") I can't say I would be a fan of an Agnus Dei set to MATERNA or AMERICA, although, with the latter being in triple meter, you would almost certainly have a wide market audience ready to jump at the latest "American People's Mass."

Adam - thank you for your suggestions, I like that trilogy! I might steal that idea but subsitute DETROIT with the "Forgive Our Sins" text found in our (ugh) Gather hymnals for the last hymn.

Bobby - love that hymn also! It's not in the hymnal, but makes an excellent unaccompanied choir (or band, TBDITL anyone?) piece.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    For that matter, I'd be curious to know what propers would be appropriate for any sort of "tribute" Mass (that is, Masses for which propers aren't already designated). Are there guidelines for this sort of thing, or is it all "alius cantus aptus," so to speak?
  • CharlesW
    As it turns out this year, we will be having the Blue Mass for law enforcement at our main Sunday mass, with the bishop presiding. The patriotic hymns are there - "God of Our Fathers," "This Is My Song," and "America the Beautiful." I am slipping in "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" at communion, and will have the choir sing "Lord, For Thy Tender Mercies Sake," at the end of communion - Not in the program, of course.
  • The Black Requiem Mass is permitted that Sunday.

If you have to have patriotic music it really has to be after Mass...the non-liturgical hymn after Mass.
  • So Charles, what tempo will you be singing the Missa Luna at that Sunday? (LOL)
  • This does bring up an interesting point. The Requiem Mass is permitted. What should the sung ordinary of the Mass be if you are at a parish with the restriction of only being permitted to sing the Missa Luna?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Chant it.
    In Old Church Slavonic.
  • The way I read the ordo (which, admittedly, could be incorrect), a funeral Mass is allowed, but simple Masses for the Dead are not. This is the ordo for the Provinces of Seattle, Portland, and Anchorage. Are there other provinces that are allowing for the Masses for the Dead on 11 September?

Either way, I will probably close with Eternal Father Strong to Save, or perhaps the National Hymn (God of Our Fathers). While the day is a somber one for us and our society, it doesn't supersede the liturgical calendar. So, an appropriate closing hymn, I think, would be more than sufficient.
  • CharlesW
    Noel, I am not using Missa Luna. I will be using the Schubert mass.
  • CharlesW
    Adam, OCS is good!
  • Bogoroditse Devo....
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Zo svyatimi upokoy Khriste, dushi sluh Tvoyikh, de nema'e bolisti, ni pechali, ni zitkannya, ale zhittya bezkoneche.
  • I'm playing a movement from Liszt's 'Requiem for Organ' as a postlude. (It's Liszt's 200 birthday year.)
  • How about O God, Our Help in Ages Past as the recessional?

I plan on using the SEPs for Entrance and Communion.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Ave verum corpus" (either the chant version or the Byrd) would be appropriate at Communion (after the proper Communio). So, too, would be the eucharistic hymn "Let thy Blood in mercy poured" - either as found the Hymnal 1982 (#313) or, as a choir motet, in this setting (PDF) available at CPDL.

As a recessional, I would give serious consideration to "America the Beautiful" - it is both patriotic, God centered and healing to all impacted by the 9/11 tragedy. On the other hand, "O God, our help in ages past" would be a healing recessional without patriotic overtones.
  • francis
    You are welcome to sing my arrangement of the Ave Verum if you would like... it's never been sung.

see and hear

Anyone interested should email me for the score.

A nicer simulation can be found here...

hear better simulation
  • Jeffrey Quick
    CHG... disagree on America the Beautiful...who is it addressed to? What is it about?
    This idea of "patriotic" hymns is revolting. We get that on the Sunday nearest July 4. I come to church to praise God, not the State, and pointedly refuse to sing those songs.
    How about "Onward Christian Soldiers"? Or a hymn to St. Michael? We didn't start the holy war...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    JQ... and I beg to differ. This patriotic hymn is in fact a prayer of thanksgiving for God's grace and a supplication for His mercy: (may) God shed his grace on thee..., (may) God mend thine every flaw..., May God thy gold refine [gold isn't money but people]... . The closing three lines of each stanza lift the nation up to God.

It is the one national song that doesn't simply wave the flag and shout rah-rah-rah.

For that matter, "Onward Christian Soldiers" is totally inappropriate for a Mass that is to include a commemoration of those lost in the tragedy of ten years ago. True, we didn't start the holy war; however, our attitude should not be that of warriors - Christian or not.

But rather than create controversy, it might be best to find something else - non-patriotic, non-confrontational.

Edit: On a somewhat different, yet related note: I was well aware of the significance (to me) of finishing the composition of my own 6-part Ave verum corpus exactly one month before the tenth anniversary of the September 11 tragedy. This weighed heavily on my mind during that time, as well as the August 3rd birthday of my sister who passed away 15 years ago, as well as the brain-stem tumor diagnosis 34 years ago and final illness one year later of my first wife. How merciful it is of our Savior that his Body and Blood were sacrificed for us and become present for us in the Eucharist.
  • francis
    thought and comment...

In Christian theology, the Christian Church, or Church Universal, is traditionally divided into:
    the Church Militant (Ecclesia Militans), comprising Christians on earth who are living; christian militia, who struggle against sin, devil and "..the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Ephesians 6:12).
    the Church Triumphant (Ecclesia Triumphans), comprising those who are in Heaven, and
    the Church Suffering, a.k.a Church Padecent or Church Penitent (Ecclesia Penitens) or Church Expectant (Ecclesia Expectans), comprising those Christians presently in Purgatory.

I have always viewed myself as a warrior against all things that are opposed to the Kingdom of God (specifically the Catholic Faith). Martyrs also viewed themselves as warriors against lies, apostasy, heresy, schism and anything that warred against the faith, truth, and ultimately, God himself.

God has charged the Virgin Mary and under her command, St. Michael as the leader of the cohort of angels to assist us in these matters, so those who are devoted to her in some way, are part of a small legion that wars directly against her adversaries. This was foretold in Genesis where it says, "And the Lord God said to the serpent: Because thou hast done this thing, thou art cursed among all cattle, and beasts of the earth: upon thy breast shalt thou go, and earth shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel."

However, when it comes to patriotic music, well, we had a huge discussion on this back last year or so. Let's see if I can find it...

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2056&page=3#Item_20
  • Liam
    I suggest a hymn, Before The Lord We Bow, we use in Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles: a text authored by Francis Scott Key (of SSB fame), and usually set to the tune DARWELL's 148th (the common tune for Rejoice, The Lord Is King and Ye Holy Angels Bright):

Before the Lord we bow, the God who reigns above,
    And rules the world below in boundless pow'r and love.
    Our thanks we bring in joy and praise,
    Our hearts we raise to heav’n’s high King.

The nation Thou hast blest may well Thy love declare,
    From foes and fears at rest, protected by Thy care.
    For this fair land, for this bright day,
    Our thanks we pay, gifts of Thy hand.

May every mountain height, each vale and forest green,
    shine in thy Word's pure light, and its rich fruits be seen!
    May every tongue be tuned to praise,
    and join to raise a grateful song.

Earth, hear thy Maker’s voice, thy great Redeemer own;
    Believe, obey, rejoice, and worship Him alone.
    Cast down thy pride, thy sin deplore,
    And bow before the Crucified.

And when in pow'r He comes, O may our native land
    From all its rending tombs send forth a glorious band;
    A countless throng, for aye to sing
    To heav’n’s high King salvation’s song.

Alternatively, one might consider the very traditional abolition verses of America that became very popular in the 1840s:

My country,' tis of thee,
    Stronghold of slavery, of thee I sing;
    Land where my fathers died,
    Where men man’s rights deride,
    From every mountainside thy deeds shall ring!

My native country, thee,
    Where all men are born free, if white’s their skin;
    I love thy hills and dales,
    Thy mounts and pleasant vales;
    But hate thy negro sales, as foulest sin.

Let wailing swell the breeze,
    And ring from all the trees the black man’s wrong;
    Let every tongue awake;
    Let bond and free partake;
    Let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.

Our father’s God! to thee,
    Author of Liberty, to thee we sing;
    Soon may our land be bright,
    With holy freedom’s right,
    Protect us by thy might, Great God, our King.

It comes, the joyful day,
    When tyranny’s proud sway, stern as the grave,
    Shall to the ground be hurl’d,
    And freedom’s flag, unfurl’d,
    Shall wave throughout the world, O’er every slave.

Trump of glad jubilee!
    Echo o’er land and sea freedom for all.
    Let the glad tidings fly,
    And every tribe reply,
    “Glory to God on high,” at Slavery’s fall.
  • Sadly, the priest will win. Looks like "This is my song" is on the docket. *Sigh* Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions/original compositions though. As a MD "newbie," I'm finding out the hard way that Suburban America is rather impossible to win over to good music, and had my first argument with another member of the parish staff today as to why I won't be programming "Table of Plenty, et. al." anytime soon. What is more important to maintain? Integrity or job security?
  • francis
    anna

both!

be judicious about what hills to die on. we need you IN the trenches... alive and fighting the good fight.

here's a letter i sent to our clergy and some of our parishioners and choir members today. be creative and non combative in your dealings and educate with love and lots of prayer.

letter to associates

These emails from Our Lady of the Rosary Library come to me often and I hope you do not mind if I pass them to you with my own small reflection once in a while. I rarely send out things like this unless it truly is a matter that warrants so. This is one of them.

We cannot stress the importance of confession in this day and age when the word "sin" is looked upon as a sin to be mentioned lest it offend the sinner who hears it. I always admire those who preach on sin and call people to repentance because they demonstrate the true goal of our faith--one of saving souls, not tickling the ears.

The assault on this wonderful sacrament is so great that the world and Satan would like to erase it from the Church. They would like to use confession to gather incriminating evidence or turn it into a psychology session. It can never be that. It is a supernatural means of conversion and a repository of grace that cannot be given except through the lips of the priest. Only excersized in this way can it bear good fruit.

In the Church's view, it also holds sacred music in high regard. It also is highly misunderstood and under a great assault from the world and the Devil. It also cannot be about tickling the ears but must reach deep into the soul and raise man above his mundane existence on earth and give testimony to a greater kingdom, one that often we do not appreciate or understand.

Know that I continue to pray that God blesses your ministry to the people who so much need it here in Wyoming. I beg the same from you.

Most Sincerely In JMJ

Francis Koerber
    Dir. of Music
    Our Lady of the Mountains

This was the quote at the bottom of the letter.

J.M.J.

Confession:
    "Confess your sins one to another."-St. James 5;16. Confession is a
    great remedy for the soul. It purifies it through the words of
    absolution, enlightens it through the good counsel received,
    strengthens it by the great graces received, humbles it by
    acknowledging to another man that we are sinners and gives peace to
    the soul being reconciled to God. We didn't care to commit the sin,
    but now we are ashamed to confess it. "God resists the proud but
    giveth grace to the humble."

Confession has been in the Church from the beginning. The second
    Sunday after Easter Our Lord appeared to the Apostles and gave them
    His mission to carry on. "As the Father hath sent me, so I send you."
    St. John 20;21. Then He gave them the power of the Holy Ghost, He
    breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive ye the Holy Ghost," vs
    22.Then with the power of the Holy Ghost within them, He gives them
    the power to forgive or retain sin, "Whose sins you shall forgive,
    they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are
    retained." vs 23. Tangible evidence of this doctrine was brought
    forth in Rome when, in 1911, archaeologists unearthed a stone slab
    which read: "Here lies Blessed Peter, who absolved us, the elect,
    from sins confessed."

A beautiful story --

St Francis and the sinful woman:
    St. Francis de Sales was hearing confessions in his church at Annecy.
    Among other penitents who went to him was a woman who had led a very
    bad life, but who, touched by God's grace, made a good and sincere
    confession of all the evil she had done. St. Francis blessed God for
    her conversion and felt his soul full of happiness in giving her
    absolution. When she received it she said to him: "My father, what do
    you think of me now since you have heard of all the crimes I have been
    guilty of?" "My child," he answered, "I now look upon you as a saint;
    let people say and think what they like, they may judge you as the
    Pharisee judged Mary Magdalen after her conversion, but you know what
    Jesus Christ thought of her and how he judged her. Your past life now
    has no longer any existence. I weep tears of joy because of your
    resurrection from the grave of sin to a life of grace. The penitent
    was not only consoled by these words of St. Francis, but when the
    devil came to try to make her fall into despair by thinking of her
    past iniquities, they enabled her to drive the temptation away.-His
    Life: Jan.29, Stories from the Catechist.

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make our hearts like unto Thine

--
    Sincerely in Christ,
    Our Lady of the Rosary Library
    "Pray and work for souls"
    http://olrl.org
  • Oh yes, the "Our Lady of the Rosary Library." Maybe next you can send around some of their invaluable teachings about how "[t]he New Mass is not Catholic worship ... Given the foregoing, it should be plain that the New Mass was conceived for an evil purpose and constructed by evil means," or about how "[w]hen men begin wearing long hair and ruffles as women shorten their hair and put on pants, it is obvious that Satan is having his way."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Do a four-part arrangement of "This is My Song", unaccompanied.
  • francis
    MarkThompson

My posting says nothing of the sort. However, time will tell on the subject you are discussing. Tell me the puppet mass is not from hell.

or... how about reviewing this article by Fr. Z... then comment on the content please...

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2008/05/need-another-reason-for-summorum-pontificum/

In the end, Our Lady of the Rosary (and I am talking about the REAL LADY HERSELF) will have a lot to say about these abuses on judgement day... I would not want to be anyone who promotes these abominations, or finds fault and ridicule those who try to find the narrow gate.
  • Chrism
    How about Propers and a Rosary after Mass?

After the Rosary could be sung "Immaculate Mary", in honor of our national Patroness, on Patriot Day.
  • Here in the diocese of Arlington, where the Pentagon is located, Bishop Loverde has given permission for a Memorial Mass/Mass of the Dead this September 11.
    This seems to be in accord with info on the USCCB site, which gives possibilities:
    1. Sunday, September 11, 2011 will be the Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time. All things being equal, the Mass of the day is celebrated with appropriate intercessions and chants or other liturgical songs ...

2. The Diocesan Bishop may direct or allow for the celebration of a Mass formulary from the Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Occasions (General Instruction of the Roman Missal, no. 374). Several formularies would be fitting for the occasion: the Mass for Peace and Justice (with white vestments) or the Mass in Time of War or Civil Disturbance (with purple vestments).

3. In some circumstances, a Mass for the Dead might be appropriate as a memorial Mass for the victims of the terrorist attacks, especially at churches and oratories with particular ties to individuals who died that day or are closest to the sites of the attacks (New York, NY, Arlington, VA, and Shanksville, PA).

Here's a link to the US bishops' site on this topic: September 11

For my own part, it seems a little off to have a Requiem Mass on Sunday, although I recognize that in the ordinary form when November 2 falls on Sunday, All Souls Day. In the extraordinary form when November 2 falls on Sunday, All Souls Day is celebrated on Monday, November 3.
  • GavinGavin
    I just pulled this out for 9/11, you might do the same: The Solemn Organ by Tim Knight (from CNP) includes a nice easy piece dedicated to the victims of the attacks. Certainly appropriate.