• The Vatican website has the General Instruction on the Roman Missal in English, French, Italian, Spanish, and Swahili. The last is an interesting detail, suggesting particularly vigilant bishops in a "frontline" area. May they be blessed. However, missing are the usual suspects: German, Portuguese, Polish and...Latin?? Anyone have a link to the Latin. Thanks. Kenneth
  • Many thanks. I had a hard time getting to the page with the five languages I listed--no matter what I entered, I got kicked back from the English to the Holy See "enter this site" page. Many thanks again.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Ok, now who is going to give us a literal translation and point out if there are still any glaring errors? ;-)
  • Ha, ha, ha. (-:

As I never tire or telling folks here and at "contermporary" (by which I mean usually atrocious) music sites, I am strictly a JPII, let's-complete-the-reform-together, Rome-has-spoken kind of guy.

That said, I like to have the text in Latin if it is available. Now, I do fervently believe that every Cathedral should have a Novus Ordo with schola, that every parish should have a High Mass with the Latin Propers, etc, but I also like all kinds of music and believe many of them can be done fine in THEORY. Why vernacular music puts on its Sunday worst is one of those issues.

But no, no literal translations from me! I'm annoying enough as it is!
  • It is important to remember that to a large extent, the Latin GIRM has little practical applicability. It is written in the Latin text of the GIRM that there must be local adaptations in both the GIRM and in the body of the missal. The English version with U.S. adaptations is the law of the land for the U.S. Even the Italian bishops have their own adaptations. A Novus Ordo Latin mass in the U.S. may contain the adaptations included by the USCCB and confirmed by the Holy See as found in the English-language version but not in the Latin.
  • chonakchonak
    OTOH, the Latin text is helpful in understanding what is meant in the English text, especially in points where no apparent change was made.
  • OR you could just be a nerd who likes to put Vatican texts in parallel texts. I personally have parallel versions of all XVI's encyclicals, several of JPII's, and--my enduring favorite--the Apostolic Letter Salvifici Doloris. The languages I read readily (Italian, French, and, duh, English) with the ones I don't (Latin, Spanish, and most emphatically Portuguese) stuck in between them. For me, it deepens the experience of reading them.

So, if 'Option Four' in the GIRM is taken as license for song leaders to do as they want, we'll call this Option Four for Nerds to Do As They Like.

Man, you can get an argument about ANYTHING on this site...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Man, you can get an argument about ANYTHING on this site...

I DISAGREE!
  • marajoymarajoy
    @ Adam-
    lol!
  • Ok, I'll bite. Adam, "This isn't an argument at all; it's just a contradiction!!!"