Does anyone here know how to harmonize Hymns ?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

I am in the final stages of the Hymn accompaniments that will be posted online for the Vatican II Hymnal.

I am looking for a 4-part organ harmonization (or multiple versions) written on Treble and Bass clef (no pedals) to include with the Vatican II Hymnal for this wonderful version of SING PRAISE TO GOD.

Can someone write one? I am looking for one NOT too difficult, but interesting and pleasing.

A 3-part Harmonization that does not harmonize rests

ENGLISH VERSES

If so, please send to jeff@ccwatershed.org

If you use Sibelius, THIS FILE will save you time.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    I will try and write you one tomorrow, it being late now. By the way, I have also written 4-part accompaniments for the tunes Thaxted (Holst) and Sine Nomine (Vaughn Williams) if you are interested. However, as the only program I have at home is Noteworthy Composer, I will probably have to send you pdf's.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Jeff, is not harmonizing rests a bad thing or good in your book, or is there something else wrong with the one you linked? Google brings up dozens of settings, of which I like this one. See? No unharmonized rests!

Another strategy would be to search for the French tune name "De tout mon coeur t'exalteray" (Ps. 9). Goudimel sets it nicely for 4 parts; I'd be happy to copy it in Sib3 in exchange for a review copy.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a harmonization that I dashed off tonight. Are you sure you want those rests in the accompaniment? In the accompaniment the notes at the end of each phrase might better be realized as whole notes (or possible dotted halves with a quarter rest). I use Finale 2011, so I don't have SIB files for you, but I can tweak the result for whatever PDF (or PS) file you might wish to have. If you have something else in mind, let me know.

Chuck
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    My thought was that if the chords would continue (and change or resolve) on the rests, this might might it easier for the congregation to join in the singing. ut of course I am looking at all that you have done, and the ones E-mailed to me privately. THANKS, all !
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Could somebody do something akin to this? (not saying it is perfect, but the harmonic rhythm keeps it moving: yes, I realize I have parallel fifths, btw)

• JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Here is mine. Any comments? I will also send it by e-mail as requested. The canon is bonus, and not an exact canon either.
  • Heath
    Chuck, some parallel octaves (B to G) in the TB lines a couple measures from the end. Not sure if that was your intent, but thought I would point them out . . .

H
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks Heath, I caught them this morning (I was up until about 2am and posted before proofreading). I'm posting a new version with "motion through the rests", hopefully in the style that Jeff is looking for, although I actually have the organ sustaining the melody note through the rests (so the cadential half notes become whole notes), and put a double-whole note at the end for the final flourish. Even with the new material, it's pretty clear that I'm composing for SATB voice leading (it's a hymn, after all, and it should be an SATB setting). New PDF is enclosed.

I'm not convinced that having harmonic rhythm in the accompaniment driving one phrase into the next is always a good thing - for example when one is accompanying a hymn in a very large space on a very large organ (when the effect can simply muddy the texture). But that's what Jeff seems to want.

Chuck

Edit: I added the file (...0.pdf) that corrects parallel octaves in the orginal harmonization that I posted earlier. The (...2.pdf) file is the newer harmonization that flows through the rests in the original tune.

Edit: I've further updated the two files, with minor fixes and rebarring.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

For all these, I thank you. Thank you so much.