ICEL settings in square notation
  • Jeffrey Tucker in a post to the Chant Cafe on Feb 4th mentioned ICEL settings for the new translation in need of square note versions, I have taken it upon myself to transcribe them all into Gregorio and have uploaded a first draft. I've compiled it into a single PDF. There's still a few outstanding issues here and there :)

Is anyone interested in proofreading/editing it for me?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Just two short comments concerning layout:

- don't use indented staffs (this, of course, is my personal preference)
    - change the linea punctum cavum into a single punctum for each syllable, or if you really wish to render the breve note head in square notation, use three punctum cavum next to each other, as is done in the 2010 Antiphonale Romanum (for instance p. 758 – but look carefully how it is used).
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Wow, this is 259 pages. It is all the prefaces! I say that because this is not clear from the note above. So in addition to the two set we already have, this really does make a giant contribution.
  • I just admire people who can say to themselves, "I'm going to sit down and transcribe 259 pages of notation because I think that it should be done."

Andrew Hinkley is CMAA Person of the Week for this!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Indeed! What we have here is a kind of Ordo Missae in cantu, in English. It would be great if such an edition will become available in large print, designed to be placed on the altar.

Andrew, do you have the gabc files of this?
  • Paul F. Ford
    Amazing! THANK you, Andrew!
  • awruff
    FWIW, when the German-speakers were still planning to use four-line square note notation for their official hymnal Gotteslob (they've since decided against it), their policy for congregational chant was to make the pes (podatus) with the lower note to the left of the upper note, so it is clearer to those unfamiliar with 4-line which note comes first. Given all the changes in 4-line over the centuries, maybe someone can tell me this was done some place or other historically - I don't know. I wonder if the "German pes" is advisable or not for our priests and people?
    awr
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Andrew, when you have a cover and copyright information (text ICEL, music CC etc.), plus table of contents, and otherwise you are happy with it, please post here again. I would like to put a stable version of this up on the site, so that it can be printed and bound.

Again, this is just splendid.
  • chonakchonak
    This is beautiful, Andrew! Thank you so very much!
  • This is a greatly commendable contribution. We are all in your debt.
    I did notice one mis-hap that you may want to correct: some of your gospel tones recite on la rather than do, resulting in a strange gospel tone.
    Otherwise, I cannot speak highly enough of your work
  • Thanks so much for the feedback!

I've attached a gzipped tar of all the gabcs (in their current state). I've included a Perl script that I used. I created some HTML tags to distinguish between text and scores, and wrote the Perl script to break up the "mgabc" file into individual gabc files with a tex wrapper file. (Actually the Perl script is a heavily modified gprocess script, I'm greatly indebted to chonak for that script.)

The file ICEL.main.tex at the top of the hierarchy of files. I created it because one big PDF is easier than 168 little ones :)

I will definitely post again when I have a stable version.
  • francis
    FANTASTIC! Thank you Andrew... Noel, Andrew is the CMAA member of the year too!
  • francis
    AWR

I don't know about who might have used that variation, but why would one vary from the universal norm? It would only cause confusion for the entire musical world that knows, studies and are the champions of chant.
  • francis
    deleted
  • WJA
    I'm unable to open the attachment ICEL_Missal_sources.tar.gz in Ubuntu 10.04. I keep getting the error message:

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
  • chonakchonak
    The problem with Andrew's file is the same as with other binary file formats. The forum software is adding a spurious zero byte to the start of the file.

On Linux (and maybe on Macs), you can work around the problem with this command:
    dd bs=1 skip=1 if=INPUTFILENAME of=OUTPUTFILENAME
  • WJA
    Every time I start thinking I have real geek cred because, you know, I use Ubuntu (!) -- I am smacked in the head by my utter lack of cred.

This worked perfectly; thanks so much for your help!
  • Hi all, I'm so sorry to have taken so long to provide a new improved edition, so to make amends, I've uploaded the 1961 Solesmes Graduale Romanum on a different thread :) The new improved edition will be ready very soon!
  • The second draft is done, I tried to upload the PDF a few days back, but it has grown to over 1MB in size, compressing it came close, but no cigar. Here's the sources anyway. Run lualatex on the file ICEL.main.tex. (IIRC you will need to run it a second time to get the table of contents.) The gabc and tex files have been split into separate zips.

There's still some formatting issues, mainly vertical spaces I can't seem to get rid of. Any advice is much appreciated.
  • I think getting this material as a bound book would be great. My priest would love to have such a thing. He doesn't really read music, but finds the chant easier to figure out that the ICEL notation. I don't see him sifting through the pdf to find what he needs, but he would definitely use a book.
    Great work!
  • chonakchonak
    Aristotle Esguerra has made a booklet in chant notation. Other booklets (in modern notation) are available at this page.
  • Hi, I am just wondering if this project was ever completed. I don't have access to the latest draft posted here, unfortunately, because I don't know how to operate the Gregorio stuff. Would anyone be willing to email me a pdf of this music?
  • Hi,

So sorry for the delayed response. The sources of all my gabcs, including the ICEL material is here, in particular, the current draft PDF.

• bhcordovabhcordova
    Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I noticed in the PDF draft that it did not include the Tones to for the introduction to the readings. Has this been addressed in the book available at Lulu?
  • chonakchonak
    If you're trying to reach a particular individual forum user, click on his name to get his profile page. You can send a message to him that way.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova