Cardinal Burke speaking on Sacred Music
  • kevinfkevinf
    i attended a forum n Louisville today on Church teaching and heard his Eminence, Cardinal Burke speak. He spoke on the "reform of the Reform" and his comments, were very much directed at church music. I had never had he opportunity to actually hear him, but I must say, he was magnificent. He spoke for nearly an hour on the subject and I was spelllbound. I was very appreciative of his knowledge, his use of scripture, philosophy and the writings of the present pope. He made an incredible argument on the use and concern of beauty in the liturgy.
    I know he has generated a lot of heat and more than a few bytes have been written against him, but I found him to be a humble, kind and prayerful person. If you get the opportunity to hear him, please go, It is worth it. I feel renewed by his talk.

I am told his talk will be available soon on the organizational website that sponsored the forum. Will let you know when it is available.
  • benedictgal
    What kind of a forum was it?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    What was the focus? Style? Text? Propers? Scholas?
  • Kathy
    Jeffrey, didn't the Chant Cafe feature a talk of Cardinal Burke's a couple of months ago, on the juridical foundations of liturgy, The Divine Right? I wonder if this talk was similar.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Hmm, perhaps so. Marvelous tracking all this progress day by day.
  • kevinfkevinf
    The talk was on Beauty and its relationship to the liturgy. He gave a philosophical underpinning of beauty, critiqued the culture in light of that philosophy , cited scripture and then posed the question of where to go from here. He advocated chant, polyphony and "worthy" hymnody. He also applied three properties of good liturgical music: holiness, universality and beauty. He also critiqued liturgical art, architecture and vestments,etc.

The talk was sponsored by the Eternal LIfe forum in KY. He is their spiritual director. It was fabulous. My head is still spinning from the ideas.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    How ironic that this took place on the same weekend as the opening of the NPM Convention.

Have a look at what's on offer over there. Apart from Dr. Paul Ford, it looks like the same ol' same ol'.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, many of us, including the Archbishop of Louisville, who gave a great homily, were aware of this irony.
  • chonakchonak
    The event, incidentally, is a conference by the Cardinal Mindszenty Foundation, an organization founded in 1958 that, inspired by the Hungarian archbishop Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty and his fight against Communism, works to present Church teaching, particularly in the spheres of society and politics.
  • DougS
    I'm really sorry to have missed it. I would be interested to know what Archbishop Kurtz really thinks about liturgy, especially given what goofiness goes on in some of the parishes here in Louisville.