Question about reading job postings
  • JaneC
    I'm not sure what forum category this would fall under, but this seems the most likely place for my question to belong. I am looking for a position, and in my search have come across a very peculiar job posting. The description looks ideal--full time work well-suited to my skills, and nearer to my family than I currently live.

Here's the weird part: the description gives very little indication of the exact location. It just names a very large area of a particular state. No city, no parish name, no phone number, no name of the person to whom the application will be sent. Just a very anonymous email address.

Part of me would really like to apply for it--the description is so tempting, and I'd love to not live on the opposite side of the country from my parents--but the other part of me is very suspicious. Can anyone think of why a job listing would be written like this, not even naming a city or county let alone the parish?
  • dad29
    There are two possibilities.

The first is that the parish HAS an incumbent in the position and plans on firing them as soon as they find a replacement.

The second is that the listing is bogus.
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The job posting, as you describe it, does sound unusual. I assume it's not on this forum.

In my old field of work, people would sometimes talk of anonymous job ads, and speculate that managers posted them to fish for candidates to fill a job that isn't open yet.

If you want, you could certainly respond to the posting, asking for more specifics.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Or another one:

The priest wants applications only by e-mail. Strange but it happened to me. Seems there was conflict about the position and he wanted to only deal by e-mail.

My .02
  • Adam Schwend
    There are any number of reasons that would cause a parish not to list particulars. I'd suspect that, if you contacted them and asked what the name of the parish is, that they'd be willing to give you more information. If they're still silent and refuse to give you any further information, I think it would be reasonable for you to tell them that you're very interested, but want to know what the parish is before going too far in the process. At that point, I'd suspect they'd either 1. give you the information. 2. Explain why they can't reasonably give you the information. 3. Just cut off contact...in which case they were probably bogus or not the type of people you want to work for anyway.