Help with new book by William Mahrt (extracting text from PDF)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    We need the chant manifesto and it is going to happen, essentially a collection of the best of what this amazing intellectual and musician has written!

but you can help. There are seven articles from old issues of Sacred Music

The Musical Shape of the Liturgy I (102.3)
    The Musical Shape of the Liturgy (102.4)
    The Musical Shape of the Liturgy III (103.2)
    The Musical Shape of the Liturgy IV (104.4)
    Gregorian Chant as a Fundamentum of Western Musical Culture (102.1)
    Gregorian Chant as Fundamentum: Singing the Solemn High Mass (107.3)
    Antonio Vivaldi (105.4)

What we need are these extracted into InDesign or .Doc (that's probably best) with embedded footnotes, and musical samples in .tif embeds.

This is lots of work. If you can help, can you let me know on this thread? Once this is done, we will have the chant book of our times!

Everything else is already done.

thanks for considering it!
  • WGS
    Do you have or are you interested in Prof. Mahrt's article in Spring 1974 (Vol. 101.1)? It was entitled "The Gregorian High Mass and its Place in the University". Perhaps the title was printed with "it's", but you get the idea.
  • rollingrj
    I would be interested in doing some of this. Will I be able to use the on-line journals as a starting point?
    yes, you can go to the online copy to get started. Keep me updated!
  • Heath
    Jeffrey, this will be wonderful! I've been hoping for this for a few years . . . good luck!
  • FANtastic. I am a technophobe but will run prayer support on this. Great idea.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I've gained too much from everyone here… I owe it to help out.

I'll tackle this one to start:

Question: For the musical examples, I could either extract the images of the handwritten notation and turn them into TIFFs, or I could re-notate them in Finale. Which would you prefer?

And I can turn these into .doc files. Should footnotes appear at bottom, or at the end?
    Yes, embedded footnotes at the bottom of page if possible. If the musical examples are not clear, they could be redone, yes.

Thanks for all of this!

Anyone else?
    This is a gigantic project. It is a very complex one too. Nearly overwhelming. However, the results will be for the ages!
  • rollingrj
    I will start with "The Musical Shape of the Liturgy I (102.3)".
    Thank you!!
  • musings
    I would love to help. With the volume of material it might be a good idea to make a list of which articles you want redone and those that are already being worked on so that we don't duplicate. I started an excel inventory from the posts to this point.

What a great tribute and gift of thanksgiving for all Dr. Mahrt's gift to us. I am happy that this is done while he is still with us! Thanks Jeffrey and everyone!!
  • nvertuccinvertucci
    What a great project and a great opportunity to help: I'm in! I'll take Vivaldi!
  • rollingrj
    How much minor editing/proofreading can be done with the original text?

In the document upon which I am working I have discovered a citation which is missing and one that perhaps should be added (which would involve a renumbering of the following footnotes).

I do not want to alter the intent of the author in any way; however, I think the actual and possible omissions might have some importance.
    Yes, minor fixes along this line would be excellent.
  • musings
    Here is a spreadsheet to keep track of articles and those who are working on specific articles. This will help to see who is doing what.

The Musical Shape of the Liturgy Transcription https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsIuhgqXhEQ3dDFZc0czbVFPY3dKbXF6UkUwYkk5UGc#gid=0

Sorry I'm not more proficient at this. ;-/
    As soon as my access arrives, I'll make it public.
    spreadsheet. Caution: most of all of this is done. The stuff that needs extracting is just these 7 articles above.
  • nvertuccinvertucci
    I've completed the Vivaldi. Would you like a change log so you can review any fixes to see if you want to keep them? If so, would you like it in the same file?

Lastly, should we attach it here, email it to you, or upload it elsewhere?

Thanks!
    Fantastic! Yes, you can just send to me here or jeffrey@chantcafe.com. Thank you thank you!!

this looked like a nice piece.
    Any other takers?
  • Mark M.Mark M.

Done and sent!
    And beautifully done too! this is just great.

This book is going to mean so much to the cause!
    I should add that if you do these things, you will certainly be thanked in the book.

Isn't it cool how we can do stuff like this that was once reserved to the mucky muck academic publishers?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    If no one else has claimed it yet, I'll do this one:
    I'll probably get that one done next weekend. I can set the five-line notation just fine, but I would need someone else to reproduce the brief chant notation examples in that article.
    Unless they are clear in the original, in which case a .tif or jpg is fine.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I'm bumping this up to hopefully solicit a bit more help here.

Unless I'm mistaken, these are the articles which still need extractors:
    The Musical Shape of the Liturgy (102.4) (this is the second article in the series with this title)
    (rollingrj, am I correct that you're doing both "I," from 102.3, and "III," from 103.2?)

I'll be done with the "Fundamentum" article this weekend.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'll be done with the OTHER "Fundamentum" article — the "Western Musical Culture" one, from 102.1 (which is an absolutely fantastic article, by the way).
    Thanks for pushing this up!
  • rollingrj
    Mark M.

I am working on MSL I and have grabbed MSL II.

It looks like MSL III is still up for grabs.

I see you have an available e-mail address; I may be corresponding with you soon.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    rollingrj, "musings" had you down on that Google docs spreadsheet as doing III (and only III, according to what I see there).
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Question:

I'm adept at taking Finale output and converting it into TIFF images. But doing the same from PDFs generated from Gregorio, I'm not entirely sure…

I'm on a Mac. I *don't* have the Adobe Suite (i.e., Photoshop, InDesign, etc., though if need be I could use those on my computer at work). I *do* have GraphicConverter, and I'm pretty adept at cutting-and-pasting from Preview and Adobe Reader.

Suggestions, anyone? And for the Finale files, I've been converting them into 1200-dpi TIFF images, which I think is the maximum resolution. Sound okay?

And another question (though one which may be a bit premature): Is there a preferred text font for the chant examples?
  • chonakchonak
    GIMP is able to read in PDFs as images; you specify the resolution in dpi.
    Whoops, another

Gregorian High Mass and its Place on the University (101.1)
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Gregorian High Mass and its Place on the University (101.1)

That issue is not listed at http://musicasacra.com/archives/
  • Mark M.Mark M.

Done and sent.
    So we don't actually have that issue up. That explains it!

anyone have it?
    So Mahrt has decided not to use the university piece.

However, we do have the essay from Cum Angelis now online. Can someone volunteer?

http://musicasacra.com/books/cum_angelis_canere.pdf
  • Heath
    Jeffrey, as a musician serving a Catholic community at a (secular) university, I'd be interested to see that piece anyway . . . any chance it will be up anytime soon?
    Ok, we are coming down to the wire and I still don't see Musical Shape I, II, II, plus Fundamentum High Mass.

Am I right?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    rollingrj said he was doing MSL I and MSL II.

If need be, I'll claim MSL III.

Anyone else for Gregorian Chant as Fundamentum: Singing the Solemn High Mass (107.3)?
    Mark maybe III? We are SO CLOSE to being finished!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Jeffrey — per arrangement via email, Ron (rollingrj) will be extracting the text for I, II, and III, and I will be re-creating the diagrams, charts, and musical examples for the same three articles. We'll collaborate so that you don't receive them piecemeal.
    Oh sorry. I guess I became a bit turned around here. Well, sounds like you two have it under control. Thank you ever so much!
  • Bumping this up in sheer prayerful anticipation.
    May God reward all those working on this project! I agree with JT- this collection will add much to the cause.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Hi, MaryAnn,

Still working on things here. I owe JT and Ron (rollingrj) some images from MSL2. And I'll likely volunteer for extracting those remaining articles, too. As soon as I can!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Done and sent.
  • This is so great. I think this leaves only one more. I'm looking into whether that one actually needs to be done at all.
  • rollingrj
    MSL 1, 2, and 3 are done and have been e-mailed.
  • An urgent message on this. This book is nearly finished!! Update on the progress at this link. thank you for all you have done so far!