Pange Lingua Gloriosi: which verses repeat in Eucharistic processions?
  • Kathy
    According to Psallite Sapienter, only verses 2-4 of the Pange Lingua are repeated during the procession to the altar of repose. Does this sound correct? Is there legislation on the subject? Is it different in the OF, i.e., is verse 1 also repeated in the OF?
  • I've been instructed to repeat 1-4 at St. Anne's. The FSSP priests there tend to be very cognizant of rubrics, but also is Andrew Mills.
    And I just checked my '61 liber u, with rubrics in English. Doesn't say either way.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I've always heard it's 1-4.
  • Kathy
    I've always thought it was 1-4, too. OTOH, it makes sense to me that verse 1 would be omitted on repeats, since it is exhortatory to the praise, rather than being the praise itself, and thereby something of a preface. "Sing, o goddess, the anger of Achilles." It's that sort of thing; not the story itself, but an introduction to the story. As an added benefit, on a long procession, with a change of choir at each verse, each side of the choir would not be singing the same verses each time through.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Today at the FSSP parish we sang 1-4 in the procession (several times, along with other things... it was 0.4 mi each way, and no instruments), saving 5-6 for the adoration.