Simple English Propers Page
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    As we approach the date of the release of this remarkable 460-page hardback, we've put up this SEP support page that will link all files individually. Right now, you can download the whole book and listen to some practice vids.

The Amazon buy link will appear in two weeks.
  • BenBen
    Can you pre-order it on amazon yet?
    not yet but soon
  • I think there is a typo in the product description. Says "The" instead of "They."
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    First time poster--please be gentle with me! I hope this is posted in the correct place.

I'm not trying to incite anything--just genuinely asking questions.

I'm the DLM at a mid-sized parish in the Midwest. I have a BA and MM, and I did extensive study of Renaissance-era Catholic music during my graduate work. I like to think I know a lot about our musical tradition, and I do a lot of reading on the subject. I have some questions that I haven't seen asked or answered anywhere.

Has there been any thought of publishing the SEP in modern notation? I think it would make them more accessible and more likely to be used. Isn't it our goal to encourage congregations, choirs, and choir directors to use these? Why utilize notation that about 1% of the congregation will recognize when there is a more than adequate alternative?

I would seriously consider purchasing this book for use at my parish, but I won't purchase it while it is published only in "Gregorio" notation. Zero people in my choir would recognize the notation, and I would be very surprised if they even know that the propers exist. If we are to introduce these to people, shouldn't we make it as easy as possible for them?

What are the benefits of publishing these in "Gregorio" notation? What is the rationale behind choosing this instead of the five-line staff and treble clef that the vast majority of professional and amateur musicians use every day? It seems to me that this makes it harder than it has to be; it makes those of us who CAN read this notation teach it to others when there is a serviceable type of notation that we both can read.

Forgive me if this is a bad metaphor, but it seems to me like person A & person B are trying to communicate. Person A speaks French and Russian. Person B speaks Russian. Person A chooses to teach Person B to speak French, rather than just speaking in Russian. Why add a step?

I am genuinely confused about this--I hope I haven't offended. I'm trying to understand.
    Just a few comments here:

1. Part of the purpose of SEP is to draw people into the world of chant, and that necessarily means 4 line notation. the SEP uses the easier possible chants so that this becomes familiar.

2. It is not hard to learn. Once you know that the half step falls below the clef (C or F) the rest follows the white keys on the piano, up or down. It is a small thing to learn and yet it makes the point that learning something is required - a bit of work - in order to sing at liturgy.

3. This notation is best for this type of music. It uses only 4 lines because that is all you need for singing, and the look and feel serve as a constant reminder the driving force of this music is the word.

4. This notation permits it to be sung in any range since you can really pitch the clef anywhere.

5. Congregations have no trouble reading this; in fact it is far easier than modern notation, and putting these in liturgy programs again makes the point: this music is different.

There are many arguments on all sides of this issue. It is obviously the case that uses 5 lines and modern notation would make this more accessible, but then what have we gained in the experience? We get good music, but performance problems and no real upgrade in the skill level.

IN any case, that's the thinking here.
  • Carl DCarl D
    It's a good question, IrishTenor, and one that many of us have when we first start this journey. In my schola, I've used a mixture of modern and chant notation, and it takes little effort to make the mental switch. I spend about half an hour with each new member of the schola, and during that time cover both chant notation and Latin pronunciation.

That said, the parish uses screens for the projection of music [please, everyone, no comments about that - that's a TOTALLY different topic]. When I created music for the screens (say, for the Responsorial Psalm), I did that in modern notation just because I didn't want to deal with comments people might throw at me.

So, for me: The choir really really needs to know chant notation. It helps you to sing it as CHANT, not as an odd mixture of music that people tend to do when we have chants forced into metrical time. When you write it in modern notation, you really should have no measure bars and use stemless notes, to reinforce that you should sing it as chant. And, of course, in the translation, quilismas and liquescent neums tend to get totally lost in the translation, since there's no modern equivalents.

Show people why learning is a good thing, rather than an annoyance. It's kinda like teaching people how the bass clef is different from the treble clef. It's simple, straightforward, and opens up a whole new world of music once you learn it.
  • The only people that complain about reading square notes are the very people who can learn to read square notes quickly...

The people who don't read music....how can they complain about it?

As a moment of shameless self-promotion, I have books for sale on Amazon.com and my own website that are solely designed to teach people, absolute beginners, to read chant. One of them, "If You Can Sing JOY TO THE WORLD You Can Learn To Read And Sing Gregorian Chant", is especially useful with people who DO read music...see them at www.basicchant.com.

Of course, it is hard to convince parishes to fork over $ for music...so these boofs and all the Catholic Choirbooks are absolutely free to download, read on the computer screen and print out and share with anybody at any time. As Adam Wood, says, they are freemium.

So, have a look at the books and see if there is something there that you might be able to offer to your choir singers to move them backward in time, to chant notation.

Chant notation is tremendously easier to learn to read and sing than modern music and once people have taken a bit of time to learn to read it, they begin to realise the benefits of being able to read chant AND modern notation.

The aha moment is cool...reminds me when I was learning to read Japanese Hiragana and began to figure out car names....Mi Tsu Bi Shi, four Hiragana syllables, very compact and precise.
  • BenBen
    No offence taken! Here's my comments, and things I've noticed:

1) You mention that "1% of the congregation will recognize [chant notation]." While they could be sung by the congregation, traditionally the propers are sung by the choir.

2) SEP is in public domain, so anyone is free to create a modern notation version.

3) It is designed (I believe) to help people learn neumes ("gregorio notation"), because all the official music books of the church are also in chant notation. Sort of a bridge to more difficult chant. Should not catholic choirs know the "official notation" of the roman rite?

4) To complete your analogy, both person A and person B live in France. Person B should really know French already, and Person A is taking the chance to teach Person B something he should already know. Not perfect, but do you get the idea?

I know this is far from a complete answer, but hopefully it will help a little bit.

Note, "gregorio" is a piece of software used to typeset chant notation. Chant notation is usually it's called either "chant notation" or "neumes". Don't worry about it too much though.
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Any status on the shipping of these from Amazon on the site the book shows as "temporarily out of stock"?

David Deavy
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    David Deavy

While the order page still says the book is out-of-stock, I received an e-mail from Amazon saying that I should receive it between the 27th and 30th of June, though it has still not yet shipped.
  • Paul F. Ford
    I sang the praises of the Simple English Propers here at the Notre Dame Conference on the Liturgy, in my plenary address tonight on music for the new missal. I wish I had some copies to sell.
  • I have just begun reading thru the SEP and am thrilled (and so is our priest) and saw that there were some practice videos for a few of the Sundays. Will there eventually be rehearsal videos for each Sunday? That would be IDEAL for my choir and really allow us to concentrate on the musical aspects at rehearsal rather than pounding out notes. Any idea if this is in the works?
    Amazon just today order some 300 copies. They are doing the distribution so we are sort of hamstrung by their algorithms. However, once this initial stage passes, it will be much better. Instant delivery.

It is a beautiful book.
  • TCJ
    Time to bring this topic back.

I was just looking at Amazon where the site says to purchase SEP, but it's only available on Kindle. I do not have a Kindle and wouldn't purchase music for it if I had, so I'm looking for the actual book. Are these sold anywhere at this time? I know that I can print from the computer (which I am doing), but I prefer to have a REAL book in my hands and not a binder of printed sheets.

Thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Jeff: the stock of books in print has been exhausted, but there will be more.
  • Sorry about this. There were some snags but it will come in soon.
  • Is there any more news on the coming availability of Simple English Propers in print?

Also, when singing the propers, are we to do all the verses or do we stop when the liturgical action is finished? Is the Glory Be required? What is the liturgically correct way of doing these?
  • chonakchonak
    Jeff posted the other day that the SEP book is back in stock, and includes a nice ribbon this time.

The music should wrap up when the liturgical action is finished; it is permissible to omit the Glory Be.

I recommend following the instructions given in the front of the 1974 Graduale Romanum. (In my translation, the relevant part starts at p. 8.)
  • Given the ramp-up time for the Amazon ordering to get enough stock in place to handle demand, we are using "Fulfillment by Amazon" this time around. Look for the Simple English Propers in the typical Amazon search function. We have several listings from which you can choose (they create a new listing for each shipment we make, for some reason). Since the stock is at the Amazon warehouse, you can include the SEP with your regular Amazon order and qualify for free shipping... If you have questions, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Janet
  • I wrote this about the SEP and how it relates to a bulletin piece that I read from St. Austin's Catholic Church. I hope that Dr. Hoffman is reading these pages. I would love to get his feedback on it.

http://benedictgal-lexorandilexcredendi.blogspot.com/2012/01/singing-mass.html

Of course, I owe a lot of what I wrote to Jeffrey and Adam!
  • I heard that Adam Bartlett is also working on a new project called the Lumen Christi Missal. Will it contain the same Propers as in SEP?
  • chonakchonak
    There's a thread about it, so check there for information on how to get updates.