I try not to read other blogs because they frustrate me.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    I've just read one that mentions how pleased the writer is that there is a different hymn in a new hymnal for each Sunday reading.

Isn't this what the propers are for?

Can anyone truly believe that a Catholic congregation is going to "actively participate" in the singing of a different hymn each week? Protestant churches don't so this...if they expect people to sing.

(I'm not going to mention my frustration with another music directir's blog in which the lady is furious because the pastor wants to move the tabernacle into the center of the church. And that that is going to distract people from paying attention to the Mass which is what is important right then, not the tabernacle. But maybe, she thinks, this way he won't be going to it as much as he does now during the Mass.)

Well. I guess I did.
  • A different hymn for each Sunday reading?? This is more ambitious than even the Lutherans. What hymnal is this?
    Actually, if one is going to have hymnody rather than the preferred propers, this is the right way to do it.
    Will people sing? They will if they please, and they won't if they don't please, so why subject the rest of us to half a dozen hymns that 'people know'?
    As always, this is not a matter of what people can do or will do, it is a matter of catechesis. Catholics are not inherently less musically talented than many Protestants.They are taught in many ways to be liturgically passive and are frustrated when they are asked to be liturgically active.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As long as they're all set to NETTLETON.
  • Kathy
    Or ODE TO JOY. People will sing anything to ODE TO JOY.
  • IanWIanW
    It was once fashionable to sing hymns to Eric Coates' DAM-BUSTERS' MARCH in these parts. Muscular Christianity, I think.
  • GavinGavin
    Would anyone here sing "Laetare, Jerusalem" on this coming Sunday because "it's a proper we know"? Would anyone here defend such a practice? And yet we are perfectly willing to pigeonhole hymns without any thought - we can use "Holy God" for any Mass we want!

A wide repertoire of hymns allows those who cannot (and that's a BIG chunk of church musicians) do the propers have music which nonetheless is very much appropriate to the Mass. It allows the congregation another level in which to more fully participate in the Mass. (Internal participation may be the important part, but external can be very beneficial as well, as our vocations attest.) It says to people "THIS Mass is unique, and you will not attend it again for at least 52 days." It is an INFERIOR model of church music, yes, but again: due to practical or pastoral considerations, this is THE BEST that many church musicians can do.

I will at least point out that basing hymns on the readings alone is a rather inferior and limited way to select hymnody.

I will address the idea that Catholics can't sing if needed, but I think there is an error in how we are setting our goals with hymnody. If you're only going to learn 4 proper chants and do the same ones every week, do the rest of us a favor and go work at Starbucks. If you're going to have a congregation only capable of 4 hymns and a program based upon hymns, I'm still waiting on my Berries and Cream Frappuccino.
  • Jackson, it's almost any hymnal currently in print by GIA.
    BMP
  • incantuincantu
    I have not yet been to a parish with a music program where they were incapable of doing propers. I used to spend a good deal of time each year picking out the best hymn for each Sunday and welcomed resources like GIA's "Hymns for the Gospels." I just didn't know any better. Now we sing the Entrance, Offertory, and Communion (along with the psalm and Alleluia verse from the Lectionary) at 4 Masses per weekend.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Who "cannot" do the Propers? There are many people who cannot do the *Gregorian* propers. That doesn't mean they need to be properless. "If you're only going to learn 4 proper chants and do the same ones every week, do the rest of us a favor and go work at Starbucks.". You know, several generations of Catholics (and the church I'm singing at right now) did just that, thanks to Carlo Rossini. It isn't everything it can be. But it's better than "cantus alia crapta". It's singing the Mass.
  • I've just read one that mentions how pleased the writer is that there is a different hymn in a new hymnal for each Sunday reading.

The Hymns in GIA’s Worship 4

This blog?
    Well, I was sort of trying not to promote the reading of it....
  • Very amusing comments on there.

I am thrilled that there will be a hymn for every Sunday based on the readings from the lectionary.

To each their battle!

Riiight ...
    And of course, I find it amusing that I cannot find all 150+ hymns....for this purpose.