What Mass is this from?
  • Bobby Bolin
    Our old Music Director gave me this and I have been searching for a long time trying to find out what mass it was from. Does anyone here have any ideas? Please ignore all my markings :)
  • I don't know what Mass it's from, nor the composer. However, looking at the sheet music (form, fonts, etc.) leads me to believe that it's from GIA - probably around the late 1960's or 1970's.

I could suggest maybe sending that .pdf to GIA and see if they can identify it. However, they could raise copyright issues, even if the piece may be out of print.

It's a pretty dang good setting from what I can see of it. Now it's raised MY curiosity level! :)

I wish I could tell you more.
    BMP
  • Bobby Bolin
    I was guessing GIA as well and I did send Mr. Anderson an email earlier tonight. We'll see if anything comes of it.
  • Mark P.
    "Mass in Honor of St. Andrew" by Jonathan Tuuk?
  • Bobby Bolin
    Mass in Honor of St. Andrew is out of print but I luckily found a copy on Amazon and ordered it. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Mark P.
    It really was a question. I'm guessing that it is "Mass in Honor of St. Andrew" but I'm not absolutely certain. I used to sing in the choir at Our Lady Queen of Angels in Newport Beach (c. 1981- c. 1984) and they sang this mass setting frequently.
  • Bobby Bolin
    I guess we'll find out then. I always like to see a new mass setting anyway.
  • Bobby Bolin
    Arrived in the mail today. Mark, you were spot on! Don't think I'd have ever found it without you. Thanks a ton!
  • Mark P.
    It was the rhythm that I remembered. I wonder if that's something like muscle memory where you remember rhythm better than melody or intervals.

In anny case, I'm glad my 56-year-old memory actually worked!