Las Vegas gig for chanting person
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    This is an unusual gig in Las Vegas for someone who can read and sing chant. It is pop music of an unusual sort. My impression is that the group takes popular music and covers it with a chant-like sound.

i reprint this message exactly as it came:

I represent the German act “Gregorian Masters of Chant” in the U.S. We are currently seeking Gregorian chant trained singers (tenor, bass, baritone) for a U.S. based production. This hugely popular European act has the full approval and support of the Vatican, and has been asked to perform for the Vatican and Church-sponsored global events.

If any of your students would like to audition, please have them send a head shot/photo, resume and sample of their vocals (MP3 or video file) to: auditions@gregorianmastersofchant.com

If you have any questions, or need further information, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 702-538-7325.

Best regards,

Toni Young
  • chonakchonak
    An example of the style is on-line here.
  • "full approval and support of the Vatican" seems to call for documentation! (laughing!)
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, usually in the press that means that some priest in Rome liked it.
    This whole genre is really puzzling to me. I think I've known about it for years, but I can't understand it or its meaning at all.
  • Darn it, I just confirmed my lifetime sentence, er....job at my parish with my pastor. I coulda been on the strip in a 54 Regular habit singing Bono next door to Celine? Grrrrrrrr.
    Do they make habits in 4X regular?
    I'd have Wendy stitch "Tuck" on back under the hood.
  • chonakchonak
    The funny part is that one of their videos is the R.E.M. song "Losing My Religion".

(I didn't get this at first, but apparently "to lose one's religion" is a Southern expression, meaning to panic.)
    So the idea is to take a regular pop song, add a flabby base beat, and then sing the melody in a ponderous spooky way while staring out in space, and then people come a pay lots of money to hear this live in Las Vegas?

There are things i can't understand in this world. Like Football, and this.
  • Well, Richard, this whole schtick is redundant. A bunch of LA producers already sent up chant with the seminal CD from the Monks of Santo Domingo de Benzedrine at least fifteen years ago.

"Hey____, Hey_______we're the _____________________monnnnnnnnkkkksssss."

and my personal favorite,

" Doooooo yoooooooo theeeeeeenk I'm seh-------------------------ksee?"

Lord, could I please be Mahrt when I grow up? And I'm sixty now. Jiminey Crickets.
  • chonakchonak
    Whether it'll work in Lost Wages, Jeffrey, I dunno. But it makes perfect sense that this goes over in Europe, where atmospheric pieces are popular, and the words don't matter so much; in fact, nobody stops pop singers from mangling the language in translated songs.