Pie Jesu by Gounod
  • francis
    It amazes me that I cannot find a recording of Gounod's Pie Jesu anywhere on the internet. Is there a moratorium on this piece?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    It seemed like nobody was recording Gounod's sacred music until fairly recently. The best of it is amazingly good. But alas, I've never heard this.
  • francis
    I don't care for a large portion of Gounod, but this piece is stunning and has been in my regular repertoire for eons.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    A very fine Messe Chorale by Gounod, austerely written for choir and organ (no orchestra), is well worth tracking down. I, for one, would rate this work far more highly than the much better known Saint Cecilia Mass of the same composer. You can obtain via iTunes a recording of the Messe Chorale, coupled with some almost equally impressive Saint-Saëns:

http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/gounod-messe-chorale-saint/id208839752

I haven't heard the Gounod Pie Jesu, I'm sorry to say.
  • JDE
    Gounod also wrote a Mass for the anniversary of the baptism of Clovis (King of the Franks) that is very reverent; it was published posthumously. Also choir and organ only. There are solos, but they are not showy; they could be done by a small group instead.
  • Please help me: I would like to find a copy of the score to the Pie Jesu of Charles Gounod......Is there one out there? Thanks, Dale
  • JDE
    Here you are. This is extracted from an 85-page book with loads of other sacred solo music - multiple settings of Ave Verum and O Salutaris among others.
  • francis
    For the first four measures, I ditch the octaves in the left hand and just play the lower note on the organ.
  • Francis, I think that some of the octaves are there for performance on reed organs as well as the piano, as many churches in France did not have pipe organs so the market for music tried to satisfy the need for reed organ music. Some had pedals, some did not, so for those without pedals, those octaves added some support.
  • CharlesW
    It is hard to believe that after all these years, I had never heard that piece. It's lovely.
  • francis
    fnj... it's strictly about understatement... doesn't matter what instrument it is. that is my personal opinion.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I'm attaching a file that I arranged of the Gounod Pie Jesu for SA voices. I attempted to make it as simple as possible for the purposes of my small choir (so they sing in unison wherever possible, and forgive me for the one or two broken voice-leading rules.) Just thought anyone else might like to make use of it in November!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen