• PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I need to figure out what our parish is going to do about new hymnals.

It's NOT an option to have hymnals without readings. This is due to many factors: people's desire, pastor's desire, etc. So, that leaves Worship IV as the acceptable choice.

What would the cost and feasibility of self publishing our own hymnal with readings included be? Does anyone have any idea?

Anyone who knows anything about this would be great to hear from.
  • There is a fee, I recall it was $2,000, to ICEL, to get a file of the readings from them for use to save typing it all in yourself. Maybe they have gotten generous and dropped the fee, though I doubt it.

And it appears that you will be responsible for royalties for general use of the parish as well, according to the ICEL website:

Royalties
    Publications subject to royalties
    Any publication produced for sale which contains ICEL translations is subject to a royalty or flat fee. Publications included are books, booklets, pamphlets, cards, diskettes, CD, and other electronic media used for liturgical celebrations or popular participation. Other publications containing ICEL texts but not for use during liturgical celebrations, such as textbooks, commentaries, religious education books and materials, private prayerbooks, recordings, etc. may be assessed a royalty or flat fee.

Publications not subject to royalties
    No royalty is charged for reprinting ICEL translations in a publication for use at a specific Mass or celebration of an individual congregation or institution, for example: convention program booklets, jubilee Masses, ordinations, baptisms, first communions, confirmations, funerals, weddings, etc., provided that the following conditions are met:

a. the publication is not produced by a publishing firm;
    b. the publication is not sold;
    c. the appropriate copyright notice appears on the cover, inside cover, or title page;
    d. the official editions of the texts are followed exactly.

[note that it definitely seems to indicate that you will have to pay royalties for using it at a weekend, non-specific event Mass]

Amazing that it's cheaper to say Mass in Latin!
  • Doesn't Liturgical Press have a hymnal with readings? They seem to be the most acceptable book around right now...
  • chonakchonak
    I thought the Lectionary comes from the USCCB. Noel, are you perhaps thinking of the bishops' conference rather than ICEL?
  • Yes! Thanks. Maybe. Do I sound confused?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear PaixGioiaAmor,

Would it be possible for you to please E-mail me?

jeff@ccwatershed.org

THANKS!
  • I, too, am looking for a good hymnal (of excellent hymns) and the readings. I have called LiturgicaL Press and they do not have a hymnal with readings. Therefore, the search continues......Please help me. Thanks
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dale, if at all possible, I would like to E-mail you, but your profile does not contain your E-mail address. Could you E-mail me? God bless!
  • This project of yours sounds really great, JMO. Looking forward to it!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thanks! I will keep you posted !
  • SalieriSalieri
    Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes!

From what I've read on the website for GIA, Worship IV is going to include "much more piano based music", inclusivised and otherwise altered texts, and will basically by like their current volume: Ritual Song. I don't know how conservative/traditional your parish is, but If you're trying to introduce better music, I don't think having a hymnal with "Gather us In" and "God rest ye merry, gentle-folk" ire really the way to go...
  • SalieriSalieri
    Pardon me. The last phrase should read: IS really the way to go...
  • JDE
    The "ire" is just a Freudian slip, then . . . I can identify with that. ;-)
  • tdunbar
    "It's NOT an option to have hymnals without readings."

I guess that means you can't take the upcoming The St Michael Hymnal, Fourth Edition and, with a rubberband attach missalette readings to it and, voila, have good hymnal with readings? :)
  • chonakchonak
    It's too bad the options are limited. Since the lectionary is under revision, with new readings to come in a few years -- the new Revised Grail psalms are permitted for use already -- it seems that this may not be a good time to buy a hymnal with readings.
  • chonakchonak
    Fair point: if the forecast is for 7 years from now, maybe we should expect 10-12.
  • This is where I pop in and say that too many pastors think that a weekly worship in the hands of the people would be too expensive and too much trouble - at which point I say that this is yet another thing the Anglicans have learned is essential to....

ACTIVE PARTICIPATION

If we had paid attention to what they have been doing, liturgically, things may not be in the state that they are in.

There is no reason to purchase a hymnal with tones of hymns you are never going to sing. instead, use a weekly guide, or a small, created-for-your-use hymnal to use with a worship guide.

Think about it. Why buy a hymnal with lots of Christmas Carols in it when you are going to sing them fewer times than the Advent hymns?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    We already have one page of the bulletin dedicated as the worship aid. It's not possible to put EVERYTHING in there. I need a hymnal with a good selection of hymns, especially long ones like the Salve Regina as well as some mass parts, such as through composed Gloria's, which would take up a LOT of space to reprint.
  • Here's an example of a bulletin that eliminates the need for Missal readings.