Apostle's Creed in place of the Nicene Creed?
  • Don't know where else to put this, as it's kind of a liturgical concern. I was reading on my diocese's website about the implementation of the new translation, and it included an option to replace the Nicene Creed with the Apostle's Creed at Mass. Upon further investigation, I found that this is not a new instruction, but was printed in the 2003 GIRM. Does anyone know what went into this decision? What are your thoughts? And would you recommend any sung versions of the Apostle's Creed?
  • It's normal practice already under several National Conferences, notably up here in Canada -- where the Nicene is basically never used.

I believe some kinds of permission were given from the CDF prior to this (2002) change in the GIRM, but I never could get anyone to tell me the details. Priests would say either "the bishop allows it" or "the rubrics allow it", without further explanation, or would justify with "it's shorter" or "it's less divisive" (I kid you not -- this was said to me on two independent occasions).

The Apostles' Creed, which is a distinctive of the Roman ritual during Baptism, and in the Divine Office, is never sung in the traditional rite.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Either they secretly ;-) want to give the nod of approval to
    praying the Rosary during Mass,
    or it is another example of material from
    The Directory For Masses With Children (1973)
    finding its way into the normative Mass.
  • Liam
    It's not in the GIRM but a rubric in the Missal itself. It commends the usage of the Apostles' Creed during Lent (the last stage of Christian Initiation of Adults) and Eastertide (the period of post-baptismal mystogogy for the same), though it does not limit the substitution to those seasons.