Solo Cantor / Several Cantors / Schola
  • Andrew_Malton
    I sing with a small schola, only on special occasions: we are not attached to a parish.

When we chant psalms for the Office (usually Vespers) we usually do this:
    * a "cantor" sings the antiphon up to the "*"
    * the whole schola sings the rest of the antiphon
    * the same cantor sings the first half of the first psalm verse
    * the cantor together with "his" half of the schola sings the rest of the verse
    * the "other" half of the schola sings the next verse
    * and alternately
    * until the Gloria Patri and the Antiphon which we sing full

Sometimes we do something else.

And we don't consider ourselves constrained particularly on this point. But I feel sure I've read somewhere either guidelines or even real rubrics about how to assign a cantor, cantors, halves, and full to the liturgical chants. Who can help me find or re-find those guidelines or rules? And how constrained are we?

Thanks for any help.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Seems to me this is spelled out in the introductory material in the Liber usualis.

At any rate, what you've described is the way I'd do it.
  • Michael O'Connor
    We split the GP as well. Once you are little larger, Fortescue calls for the cantors to come to the center, reverence and sing their parts. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do the "pre-intoning" to the priest. That just seems weird.
  • priorstf
    We are working towards that model, Andrew. At the moment the Cantor intones up to the asterisk and the schola sings all of the rest together. Once we have two halves with the confidence to sing on their own we'll make the jump.
  • Kallen
    "I don't know if I'll ever be able to do the "pre-intoning" to the priest. That just seems weird."

I thought so too, until I was in a situation with no organ, and a priest who was not comfortable with just a pitch from the pitch pipe...so I pre-intoned. It was fine.