Definition of terms in Musicam Sacram
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    In reading paragraphs 28-31 of Musicam sacram, there seems to be some confusion in the use of terms as they apply to the EF.

Para. 29.b. refers to "the gospel acclamations" as belonging to the "first degree", while para. 31.b. and c. refer to the "chants after a lesson or epistle" and the Alleluia as belonging to the "third degree."

Several well-known liturgical scholars have pointed to this confusion and use of terms that do not seem to apply to the OF (Missal 1970) as the reason why the whole of Musicam sacram is now irrelevant.

I maintain that since it has never been abrogated, suppressed or otherwise replaced by another legislative document from the Holy See, we have an obligation to do our level best to interpret and apply the principles set forth in MS.

It was my understanding after carefully reviewing the structure of the EF that the "gospel acclamations" referred to under the "first degree" were the dialogues, "Sequentia . . . Gloria tibi, Domine." before the proclamation of the Gospel, and the response, "Laus tibi, Christe." after. The chants "after a lesson or epistle" would be the Gradual or Tract immediately followed by the Alleluia with it's verse (outside Lent).

In applying this to the OF (in English) I take para. 29.b. to refer to the dialogues that precede and follow the gospel and that what we now call the "responsorial psalm" (or the Proper Gradual) and commonly call the "gospel acclamation", that is the typical three-fold "Alleluia" with a verse (or the "Praise to you" in Lent, with it's verse), are what properly belong to the "third degree" as defined by para. 31.b. and c. Or, would it make better sense to include the responsorial psalm and common "Alleluia" with its verse in those dialogues that were formerly defined as "first degree" in Musicam sacram, with a view to progressing from the use of a responsorial psalm to chanting the Proper Gradual (which would remain a "third degree" element)?

I would also note that the response, "Verbum Dei" following the first and second readings in the OF would belong to the "first degree", even though they were not originally a part of the Mass responses in the EF.

Thoughts, comments, clarifications?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    ::Because of edits to the original question, this comment no longer makes sense.::
  • What missal were they talking about in 1967? There are no "gospel acclamations" in the '62 missal.
    And are you personally actually dealing with a "progressive solemnity" issue? If so, might the best solution be to cut the Gordian knot and sing it all?
  • DougS
    Also "Dominus vobiscum/et cum spiritu tuo"? This seems in keeping with the rest of 29.
  • David, I interpret that section of MS basically as you've said. I think if we summarize paras 29–31, things might be clearer:

1st degree: priest's parts and congregation's responses, Sanctus, Pater Noster
    2nd degree: rest of ordinary, General Intercessions/Prayer of the Faithful
    3rd degree: propers, readings
  • dvalerio
    The «Gospel acclamations» in MS are indeed the dialogues before the Gospel. Chris Allen's summary is excellent.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Yep, your explanation seems to be correct.