Resurrecting "An English People's Mass" - Murray
  • In 1964, one of the first "approved" masses in English was Dom Murray's "Peoples Mass" (Gregorian Institute of America). The "Sanctus" with one change of text--filled to full--uses the new missal text. This simple setting has dignity and decorum; it "sings" quite naturally. The slow moving and rising "Hosanna" is quite charming. In a way, it reminds me of the Willan "Missa Sancta Maria Magdalena". If you have copy collecting dust somewhere in your choir loft, I recommend finding it and giving it a try. It certainly tops anything new from the big name publishers.
  • Kathy
    I was looking at an old Mass from that era last Sunday, wondering if it might be workable with the new translation. Thanks for thinking of the Peoples Mass, I'll see if we've got it around.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't seen this one. Is it still in print?
  • I would love to see this too. Sometimes it seems like history has leapfrogged from 1964 to 2011. Does anyone know what went on in the 47 years between the two? It all seems kind of hazy and strange. Maybe we'll leave that to professional historians to figure out at some later date.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Would this by any chance be in the old People's Mass hymnal?
  • The Murray Mass is long out of print. It was a GIA, then GREGORIAN INSTITUTE!!!!, publication. The "People's Mass Book" was a World Library publication.

The entire mass, including a chant setting of Credo III, is modest but well crafted. Because the same theme is used throughout, it gets a bit tedious. But, the Sanctus is a well crafted gem. Very fitting for rising incense. The Sanctus is instantly learnable. We sang it last Sunday, and I heard several favorable comments. No one commented that we sang "Lord of Hosts" rather than "....power and might".
  • I would love to see a refitting of the the Marier Gloria, #8, in HPSC to the new text.
  • I would be very interested if someone might post a sample of the Murray Mass on this forum. Joseph Michael, I share your wish for a revision of Marier's Gloria #8, it is very beautiful... I especially like the part in it when the music just seems to rise to the heavens at "Most High, Jesus Christ"
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Would it be possible for someone to post a PDF copy of Dom Gregory Murray's "People Mass" ? In Latin and/or English.
  • E_A_FulhorstE_A_Fulhorst
    Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMfMe_j9jU

EDIT: Apparently not, cf. JIF.
  • I have this and we used it this year! I re-wrote it to include the new translation. I am on vacation right now, but I'll post it when I get home this coming Thursday.

Jacob
  • But I don't think the recording is the same.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • formeruser
    Another forgotten gem.....I had completely forgotten about that Mass. In light of several other posts elsewhere on this forum it might be good to remember that the then "Big 2" were publishing very good music before and after the Council; does anyone remember the Summit Series Propers from World Library? They were not chant based but they were well crafted and were using the very best composers of the time. And the Composer's Forum a decade or so later. An interesting statistic - in my diocese the most popular "new" settings are the reworked Mass for Christian Unity of Vermulst followed by the Missa Simplex of Proulx, both worthy choices imo. The times have changed!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    JIF, correct me if I am wrong, but it will probably be easier to adapt to the New ICEL translation from the original Latin setting.

We would love to see the score if someone can post.
  • doneill
    Speaking of the lovely Willan Mass, after realizing that the Episcopal Rite I text of the Gloria is more similar in structure to the new translation than is the previous ICEL, I experimented with adapting the Willan to the new translation. I regret that I cannot share it, because I have not yet sought copyright permission from Oxford University Press. Willan had a keen sense for text setting - the Gloria has a mixed meter that flows naturally according to the syllabic accents, so it was relatively easy to adapt to the new translation by keeping the harmonic progressions and changing the rhythms somewhat.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    deleted
  • doneill
    I'm confused now. To my knowledge, the Willan Missa Sancta Maria Magdalena first appeared in the Hymnal 1940, and was always in English (according to the official Anglican text at the time), so didn't need to be adapted. Are you saying that there is a previous Latin version? It wouldn't be out of the question, with Willan working at a high Anglo-Catholic parish in Toronto.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Oops!

I meant to say:

The New St. Basil adapted the Willan to Latin, just FYI.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Bobby Bolin
    I just found this mass published to fit the new translation by McCrimmon's in the UK. Here is a link: http://www.decanimusic.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_3.html
    or
    http://www.mccrimmons.com/product/62/1898
  • Willan's Missa Sancta Maria Magdalena was not translated into Latin for the "New Saint Basil Hymnal". That wonderful book does have a Willan Mass that he composed just before that book was published ca. 1958: Mass in Honor of St Teresa. This unison Latin mass is available again from St John Cantius in Chicago. The Kyrie and the Sanctus are exquisite. St John Cantius has also adapted the Missa SMM mass to the text of the New Roman Missal. I hope that they will be able to bring back the "New Saint Basil". Here is a book that every choir ought to have.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My parish had the New St Basil until from about 1992-ish until 2004 when we got the Adoremus Hymnal. The choir still uses the New St. Basil, and we kept most of (I've given some away to people who were looking for a good hymnal for home use) the copies is boxes in the music closet. These are really wonderful books.

One of my fovorite hymns in the book (which I just recently rediscovered) is from the 'Hymns for Low Mass' section - Recessional: To God our Father. Words by Sr. M. Francis, P.C.; music by Arthur C. Becker.

To God our Father, Builder and Creator,
    Be praise and glory given evermore.
    Maker of all that is, or was, or will be,
    Ever we'll thank Thee, ever Thee adore.

To God our Savior, Son and Judge, Redeemer,
    Let hymns of joy be raised eternally.
    Washed in Thy saving Blood, we sing Thy mercy
    Who bought us at great price upon the tree.

May God the Spirit, Worker, Sanctifier,
    Be praised, bright Artist of the Trinity,
    Flaming down upon our world; we will thank Thee
    Through time, and then through all eternity. AMEN.

Also worth mentioning is Richard Terry's setting of Crown Him with many crowns. Great piece.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Please post a re-translation of the Murray Mass! I was hoping that someone would rewrite that mass setting at some point. Thanks!!
  • It was done by McCrimmon's so I'd imagine it is under copyright.

http://www.mccrimmons.com/product/182/1898
  • Without having a copy to look at, I am guessing that this 2011 edition of the "NEW" People's Mass is a reworking of Murray's "NEW" mass that came out sometime in the 70s. This NEW mass is not the same as the original. The NEW mass lacks, greatly, in the charm and grace of the 1964 work.

As for the 1964 mass, the entire mass can be a bit tedious--repetitious. But the KYRIE and SANCTUS serve the text and the liturgy beautifully.

[Big blank space deleted. Maybe the cat sat on JM's keyboard.--admin]
  • I've taken a look at the mass in Latin. My goodness that Gloria is repetitive!

I think with a little harmonic development that it could be turned into a nice 3 or 4-voice harmonised mass setting.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    @Joseph_Michael
    the entire mass can be a bit tedious--repetitious

repititious as in 11 and a half screens of blank space after your post?

(you can edit your post to fix it ... just click the blue edit link to the right of your name on the post ... thanks!!)
    Thanked by 2Gavin Gavin
  • I think that the Gloria would become annoying before long. However, I can see this being used quite happily for sung weekday masses or during Lent/Advent. In particular, I think that the D major key lends itself to Advent.