Is Google Translate slowing down the CMAA forum?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

I have very little knowledge of computers, databases, etc.

HOWEVER, I believe that this forum has been running "slow" ever since Google Translate was added.

Am I wrong?

If so, perhaps it might be worth considering getting rid of ??
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I notice that the forum is moving VERY slowly.

I figured it was because of huge amounts of traffic due to having celebrities like David Haas and Jeffrey Tucker on the forum...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    it has been slowing down. It's likely due to increased traffic.
    It might be time to take up a collection so the admins can invest in fatter pipes.

In the mean time:
    It would help things if everyone used "open in new tab" (right click, first option in most browsers) when opening discussions. Then, just close that tab when you're done with the thread and open the next thread WITHOUT reloading the main index page.

This will save countless page reloads on the main index. It will save everyone who does it a few seconds, and corporately, it will save quite a number of HTTP calls, which will speed up everything else.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Removed. How is it now?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Unless I'm crazy, it is A LOT FASTER.
  • CharlesW
    It's kind of slow on this end. Maybe it's on the old calendar? LOL. However, it is truly slow.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think it's moving just as slow.

I think Ostrowski just hates Google Translate, perhaps because he had the idea before Google (he couldn't work on it because he was too busy studying the Editio Vaticana).
  • Yeah, still slow. hmmmm.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Perhaps there are just too many conversations?

Can older ones be archived?

(hope I'm not showing my ignorance...)
  • chonakchonak
    This sort of slowdown can happen when a web page has graphics or other elements coming from another web server.

The Facebook image in the left column, for example, comes from FB's web servers, and is generated on the fly.

If the Google Translate option used JavaScript or some graphics from Google's servers, then every user's browser had to go and fetch stuff from those servers too, as well as from CMAA's server. And Facebook's. And Sitemeter's. And there are also graphics from chabanelpsalms.org, and ceciliaschola.org. Also, the site uses a JavaScript file from woopra.com.

And if any of those servers goes on the fritz, the page will appear to hang up and not load fully.

It's good to keep an eye on these possible usages as multiple points of failure that can affect your web site's performance (from the user's point of view).
  • Slow on my end. Not a complaint, though.
    I'm so large with child that putting on shoes takes 5 minutes these days. :)
  • chonakchonak
    If you can run your browser with ad-blocking software, that may help: my ad-blocker suppresses the sitemeter graphic - the little colored square in the bottom of the left column - and that saves a few seconds every time I view a page. I may not show up in Jeffrey's web statistics because of it, but at least the site works faster for me.
  • Is it any better today?
  • dad29
    Jeffrey, yesterday (1/5) it took almost a full minute of loading before I simply gave up looking at the forum altogether and went to the next 'favorite'. WAY slower than, say, 12/31.

Today it's improved--prolly around 15 seconds to load a page. (DSL hard-wired machine on this end.)
  • dad29
    Correction, Jeffrey: yesterday was 1/4!!
  • Would it speed up things to remove all the picture links and replace them with simple text links?
  • Is it any better today?

Seems even slower for some reason.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I think it may, in fact, be the Facebook links. That is the point in the load of the forum (and the Chant Cafe blog too) where my browser seems to stop and wait.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JT
    You might know to do this already- but Google Chrome (and probably FireFox) has an audit feature that gives you suggestions for speeding up a page load.
    For example, on the forum homepage:
    -6 separate stylesheets and 8 separate javascript files could be compbined to save HTTP calls
    -GZIP compression would speed up transfer by reducing size
    -over 400 CSS attributes (representing, probably, 1200 or more lines of code) are completely unused
    -up to 25 resources may not be cached by browsers, causing repeat downloads of the same files

Solving these issues, and also the suggestion I made to members earlier in the thread, address symptoms, not the root cause (which might be too much traffic or some specific widget like the FB banner), but if implemented that will have a noticeable cumulative effect on performance.
  • chonakchonak
    I ran a test that leaves out the graphics and got inconsistent results: sometimes the web server delivered the HTML in 2-3 seconds, sometimes 5-12 seconds! So I think there may be a performance problem at the hosting company.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    there may be a performance problem at the hosting company.

This would be my semi-professional opinion as well.
  • IanWIanW
    Perhaps it's got some connection with stuff disappearing, too ... ?
  • chonakchonak
    What has disappeared?
  • IanWIanW
    A whole thread kicked off by FNJ
  • I authorized two members of the forum to remove any comments by me that they found unacceptable throughout the site and referred them to a moderator who I gave permission to as well. These members felt that my comments have lowered the tone of the forum.

I got interrupted before I could hit ENTER, I am afraid, by a phone call from a lady who wanted to book the church for a wedding. I was able to determine that she was trying to find a church in Philadelphia! I recommended that she contact an esteemed member CMAA person there and get suggestions about which church (hers if possible) might have an excellent organist to do this.

But I may have hit ENTER because the discussion disappeared.
  • chonakchonak
    The blog admins occasionally do nix a thread or an entry, presumably for a serious reason: for example, if it contained some error that could hurt someone's reputation. I don't know about the particular case.
  • They have, thankfully, done that to my postings more than once. I have always thanked them and meant it.
  • IanWIanW
    I guess something so offensive that it justified removal of the entire thread might have been posted after I last saw it it and before the axe fell ...

All I can say is that up to the former pont it was just an honest discussion, and all the better for that.
  • eft94530eft94530
    For me it is stalling while doing stuff with
    sitemeter.com
    woopra-ns.com
    facebook.com

Do we really need all this for a Forum Discussion?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I don't want to beat a dead horse...but the forum still appears to be very, very slow.

:-(

Would it be possible to simply 'archive' several hundred conversations?
  • gregpgregp
    I've noticed that in the last few days as well.

It's almost impossible, as a user, to know whether the problem is your machine, your ISP, or the blog.
  • gregpgregp
    I didn't get to finish my thought....

When everything else you access on the internet loads and runs in very short order except for this forum, then there could be a problem here.
  • chonakchonak
    @Jeff: the cause of the slowness may be (and IMHO probably is) unrelated to the quantity of past conversations.
  • Strangely, I've not been able to update any of the gazillion plugins that this Vanilla software takes to run. I don't know why that is. Might have to do a general update via FTP
  • chonakchonak
    At 00:25 ET on Wednesday, the forum's just fine.
  • marajoymarajoy
    It was super slow for me yesterday, but today seems to be just fine.
  • seems to be faster today...