Lessons from Microbrewing
  • GavinGavin
    I've had some deep thoughts stemming from this, but I figured I'd just make some general comments and let the conversation go where it will (as I feel it has diverse applications)

A West Michigan brewery, Founders Brewing Co., has as their motto "Brewed for us. Enjoyed by everyone." (emphasis mine) I saw elsewhere on their page once something to the effect of "We brew the beer we want to drink." Founders is easily my favorite Michigan brewery, and you should definitely drink it if you can get it. But I digress... The idea is intriguing: instead of deciding their recipes to fit a perceived market demand, the brewers design beers which fit their ideals of what delicious beer is. Rather than ostracizing the market, their brewery is one of the more successful tipsy businesses in the state. Beer snobs all over love their beer, while lager-swilling masses can't stand to have flavor in their glass and go to the local sports bars instead (which in West MI often sell Founders also). A few observations from this:

- A few commenters make the observation "Catholics don't like to sing" and propose we make liturgical decisions to fit this reality. What if we instead made our decisions to edify those whose devotion is made deeper by sacred music?

- I thought these same thoughts after hearing coworkers talk about these "megachurches" reaching out to the "unchurched" and tailoring their worship to fit those who don't want to be Christian. What if our church services/Masses expressed clearly what it is that's going on, instead of trying to cover it up?

- In the same line, I recall a conductor's talk from TED (forgot the name) in which he said "We go around depressed telling ourselves, 5% of people like classical music and if we could only get it up to 6% everything would be different. What if we went around believing everybody loves classical music?"

- I recall a former boss with extremely good motives who held back from ad orientem after getting complaints for a Latin canon at Mass. I had to wonder, why are we making liturgical decisions to please people who don't want to be Catholic? What if Catholic musicians and liturgists made decisions based on the needs of those who want to attend a fully, authentically Catholic liturgy?
  • Been saying this for years, Gavin...hear, hear for the next generation's voice.
    I don't care how many liturgists or musicians pontificate from their perch on the head of pin about quanitifying or qualifying "sucessful worship," I know when I've given my all, and know I will have to muster that up every occasion I accept my responsibilities, and thereby conduct myself and my choristers/instrumentalists with that intent. It's almost a folly, after realizing whose behavior for which each of us only bears responsibility, to divert one's attention to the tastes or complaints from fence sitters.
  • "If you try to please everyone, you'll end up pleasing no one."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When I was a theatre student, and also when I taught theatre, I took this approach when choosing and directing plays. I produced the version of Hamlet I had always wanted to see, but couldn't because no one else had done it. Same with several other shows. Not everybody liked my stuff. But the people who liked it, REALLY liked it.

Similarly, at my parish- I've been told several times that my choices of literature are excellent. "You must really put a lot of thought into selecting each piece individually, and also to the mixture of genres and pieces."
    Well, yeah- I mean, I try to. But really... I just do music I love. If I don't love it, I don't do it (with a few exceptions... I got too many requests for "O Holy Night" to just decide not to do it).

The danger, of course, is the music director with bad taste who LOVES "Our God is an Awesome God."
    Well- I can hardly help that other people are stupid. But, there are two things I CAN do about that situation:
    1. Immerse myself as much as possible in great music (even if I don't initially care for it), particularly the great sacred music of my own heritage (Roman Catholic) and the tradition that currently employs me (Anglican). In this way, I attempt to bend my own tastes and desires ever more closely to the truly beautiful and sacred.
    2. Support (with participation and prayer, and one day, I hope, with money) organizations like CMAA and CCWatershed which, among other things, help myself and others to do #1 above.
  • Blaise
    Gavin,

If MusicaSacra Forum had a "like" button on it, I would click it. :) It is good you haven't left us (MusicaSacra) as I remember you said you would a year or two back.
  • francis
    It's just like the field of dreams. Simply BE Fully a Catholic and the Catholics will come. Others are not invited unless they want the same.

Love beer. But also love cars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzXHq7gKN8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • My grandmother used to say that when you make a decision that it should please you, then you will know that at least one person is satisfied. That being said, I believe that the line is being drawn in the sand and one will have to make known his position, especially in terms of being Catholic. This applies to music for worship, Mass, the Office, sacraments, etc. just as it will apply to those in Religious Education, Catholic Education, and clergy. Daily it becomes apparent that mass marketing to the masses to get them to mass is not effective in transforming them who then should transform the culture. When the Church, especially music, sounds like the prevailing culture in which it finds itself, we should not be surprised that both deteriorate and become earthbound as opposed to heavenward-looking.

Although I know that Gregorian Chant and polyphony is not every one's favorite musical genre, and I don't usually choose it as background music, I believe that it best serves the liturgy which should lift people's minds and souls to cry out and encounter God, so in that way, my decisions are not based on personal taste, but more on centuries of a standard norm that has demonstrated its profound effectiveness for that very specific purpose.

But, it is nice when it pleases us as well. Happy tasting!!