Hymn for Third Sunday of Advent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So much positive feedback (and useful help) from my posting last week, that I thought I'd do another.
    I'm not programming this text at my parish, so I'm not taking the time to notate it unless someone asks.

As always- critiques and comments are welcome, especially tiny nitpicky issues with grammar and such.
    And also as always- the text is free for anyone to use in a worship setting, set to any tune you please. Other purposes (commercial recording, for example) please ask first. Please include an attribution if you use it.
    And also as always - discussions as to the suitability of Hymnody in general for any particular liturgical function or rite are pretty much unhelpful and rude, and should be addressed in another thread.

I have no thoughts on tune. It's LM (same as last week's, which my parish sang to Conditor Alme Siderum).
    For some reason I've been recently liking ABAB more than the traditional AABB or the easier ABCB.

Here we are...
    --- --- ---

Say to the weary, "Have no Fear;
    Your God will come in strength and might.
    His saving grace is drawing near,
    His arm will put the Foe to flight."

All ears shall hear, all eyes shall see
    The saving power of the Lord,
    Who from our sin will set us free,
    And Who will save us by His Word.

On that day blooming flow'rs will rise,
    The lame will dance, the mute shall sing!
    The blind will open up their eyes
    to see the coming of their King.

The Holy Way to God's own land
    Is waiting for our passage there,
    Protected, then, by God's own hand,
    Directed on by God's great care.

Prepare, then, for that journey great
    Let not your timid heart delay,
    Bid not your feet to pause or wait,
    But fly to Christ, the saving Way.
  • Very nice. I wonder though about the lines "Who from our sin will set us free, / And Who will save us by His Word." The stress pattern's different ("Who FROM . . . And WHO") which I think will make the second line scan like a question.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree (not sure I disagree, either).

Crowd-
    what say you?
    Suggestions?