Observation of a dichotomy
  • Allow me to attempt a monologue in the style of Charles Culbreth (whose prose is unsurpassed) on Chant Cafe.

OK, so I just watched a video on Chant Cafe that compares various Responsorial psalms. I cannot help but notice the dichotomy that exists between positive energy on the CMAA forum, and groups like the National Catholic Register or Pray Tell Blog. Everywhere I look on the CMAA, I see people who are not at all embarrassed about their love (chant), who want to share it with others, who want to build something positive. They love what they do, and will keep doing it no matter what, no matter how many people try to beat them down. It seems like there's always some new project, some new goal. Recently it was the SIMPLE PROPERS. Earlier, it was the PARISH BOOK OF CHANT. Before that, it was ENGLISH HYMN PROJECT. Then there were the ICEL TUTORIAL VIDEOS. Then there were books that were scanned by Robert Carroll and numerous others. They are excited about chant sessions, colloquiums, or other chant gatherings. They plan trips to sing in Europe, and chapter meetings. There are movies and videos made about their activities with smiling young people singing Tallis, Byrd, and Lasso. To speak truth, there are numerous projects announced by the CMAA that I don't even fully understand. Every day, it's something new, and something exciting. Every day, the CMAA people stand up and say, "We love chant, we will fight for it, and we believe in it."

I find this dichotomy fascinating. Take Pray Tell Blog: look at the last twelve posts in a row. Nothing but negativity, hatred, and (for lack of a better word) whining and complaining. Every so often I check in on that blog, and I always like to see if there is even one positive thing, or one thing they are excited about. I'm waiting for them to be excited about something, proud of something. I'm waiting for them to come out and say, "Here's something we think is really great, and we will stand behind." Again, all I've seen is moaning and (as many on this forum have noticed) mockery and snide comments. On 13 August, the editor said: "Pray Tell enjoys reporting on news,especially when there’s some drama to it . . . ." I guess that should have been my first clue. The CMAA people don't seem to care about fanning the flames of gossip and "drama." They're too busy singing chant, or learning a new Gregorian hymn, or trying to teach young home schoolers how to read Josquin . . . .
  • Don't forget about the horrifically uneven moderation. If Paul "ad hominem" Inwood were a conservative commentator, he wouldn't be allowed to post on the blog, let alone be on the editorial board.
  • Dear James,
    I've never heard anyone deem me prosaical. Lotsa folks, whose sentiments probably lie among the tall grass of Pray Tell, have often dubbed me "Captain RunOn Sentence." Needless to say, as a child I rejected the mother's milk of Strunk and White!
    And you have touched and illustrated the central nerve of why I fell in love with CMAA at colloquium-the absolute, resolute optimism of its members, top to bottom. The undaunted enthusiasm of equipping and preparing folks to offer fit praise to God throughout the course of each day that isn't pedantic, but REAL! The support and real understanding among us that not only listens and respects diverse opinions within our ranks, but a spirit of Truth (gratias, Mr. Tallis) that enables us to align our minds then hearts to ritually worship in communion, even if a Schubert Ordinary is a medium. ;-) Gotta run, Mass beckons.
    I just thank God for the likes of Fr. Smith at CC.
  • ...it's quite 'telling' (no pun intended) that PT never covers any of the really important church music news....for instance, PT readers have not a clue that the simple propers project even exists....
  • Well, let's stay positive and be lights to others. We've had our moments here as I recall...
  • Yes, we have, Mike, you being such the muckraker an' all!
    But, at the end of the day, I know that every moment spent at colloquium or intensive was of benefit.
    That doesn't happen elsewhere, often, in my long-toothed experience.
    And we have these amazing young lions and lionesses leading the pride. I'm feeling very Psalm 23.
  • Liam
    From the Lost Gospel of Luke, Chapter 18A, Verse 13b: "O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity, even like this Pharisee."
  • John 8:32
  • Charles, my friend! It is not only the young that inspire.
    I was blessed to attend a dinner with Frank and Lucia Larocca last night.
    Listening a bit to this humble man's reconversion and desire to serve the Church was incredibly inspiring.
    I heard so much of your same desires, boy was I missing you and Wendy! The HS is a moving hearts to Christ, and in every generation. Our liturgical times are increasingly more promising than confounding.

I have observed the dichotomy noted in this thread,to be sure. I love CMAA
    for slogging it out, dreaming, praying with the Church, and moving forward.
    By contrast, whining alone only produces negative inertia.
  • Kathy
    Poster time: "I'm feeling very Psalm 23."
  • I hereby yield all copyright, trademark and patent rights to above said poster enterprise, and any offshot merchandise, especially inaction figures, to Kathy Hymnwriter Ephraim, HRH.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    wait, wait, which Psalm numbering are you using?
    And is it an approved translation?
  • Kathy
    I'll take either/ both Psalms to the bank. Thanks Charles! Thanks King David!