pipe organ stops
  • Please give me some insights as to the value of installation of these 2 stops-- Tierce 13/5 and tremolo? I shy away from both.
  • Tierce is part of the natural harmonics and can be played with the foundation of the 8' flute and with the 4', and the 2 2/3' and 2'. At that point is is part of a cornet.

When played with the 8' flute and Nazard 2 2/3' it is called a Sesquialtera and it and the Cornet are both beautiful with or without tremulant.

Some people will disagree. BUT the Nazard and Tierce have been part of organs for centuries, as has the tremulant.

The historic inclusion would seem to count against those who disagree. They say, "Bach would not hve used tremulant."

Bach insisted the trem be fixed on an instrument he played. It's in a letter he wrote.
  • Not at all to counter Noel's comments, but to clarify: a tierce is essential to any complete organ specification; for playing early French literature, and as a solo forming stop in general. Tremulants, while at times desired (and yes, even for Bach, who had them, used them, and recommended them), are a luxury which almost never should be chosen in lieu of an additional rank of pipes.
  • A tremulant costs around $500 - a rank of pipes added to an organ costs between $7,0000-$25,000.

I also agree that an additional stop is valuable - so if you need to take over a drawknob from the trem to add a rank, the trem can go on a piston!
  • Tremulant:

For a solo voice in a voluntary, great.

To accompany singing, never.
  • Caution! Not all mutation (non-unison/octave) ranks of pipes are created equal! Scaling and voicing are critical to appropriate usage - and also placement (i.e. exposed/enclosed). Experiment with what you have to see what the balance is in you registration. Unfortunately, there are many mutation stops in American organs that are virtually unusable! In some cases (pun intended!) some revoicing of the rank might be needed.

Mixture stops with very noticeable "breaks" can ruin a melody line. And that doesn't even include a M3 sounding pitch. OTOH the famous Willis organ at Blenheim Palace has mixtures in every division, all the same composition: 2 2/3, 2, 1 3/5. They work wonderfully in hymn playing, etc. There were some 19c American builders who included and M3 rank in mixtures.
  • Profound thanks, esteemed colleagues! I deeply appreciate that you don't conflate ignorance with stupidity. I have been playing an old electronic Allen, and the church is about to install an 8-rank Reuter Opus 1718. Further advice welcome!
  • francis
    Tremulant, when adjusted correctly (same issue as vocal vibrato!) should be slight and not a wobble! It is then quite beautiful. The Allen I have allows me to adjust the amount. Can we have this function installed on the choir members?

It's good to know Bach used it. Thanks Noel.
  • yes,beats too far apart deliver woozy Hammond organ effect