Simplex in Italian

• I'm an Italian priest belonging to the Diocese of Frosinone-Veroli-Ferentino.

I apologize for my English, I hope you can understand me.

It's a long time I've been following your web-site NLM and I thank you and all your team for the excellent work you're doing for the God's glory and for His Church.

I'm trying to do something similar to Fr. Samuel F. Weber's work for italian liturgy and, after the work he published on your web-site some days ago, I dare ask you for a plea. My desire is to carry out a Gradual Simplex in Italian language. If there's anybody in Italy interested in joining this plan he can contact me at my e-mail address: respa.gm@libero.it

I'm very grateful to you for the care you show for the liturgy and for the Holy Father.

God bless all of us.

Veroli, 6 August 2009, Transfiguration of our Lord, Jesus Christ

Father Giacinto Mancini

• gregpgregp
    Good luck to you, Father!
  • Padre

A propositio di questo, Lei ha visto la mia resposta pochi giorni fa sul New Liturgical Movement?

Cordiali saluti
    H
  • I was very sorry to get the following message from Fr. Mancini the other day:

Dear Steven van Roode,
    unfortunately my initiative about the Graduale Simplex had no success because nobody offered his contribution (it probably means that in Italy nobody is interested in something like this). Anyway, I really compliment with you for your work.
    As I haven't renounced to my project, I hope to have much more time a day to dedicate to my initiative.
    I'll keep you informed.

Yours in Christ,
    Father Giacinto Mancini

Let's hope this wonderful initiative still gets off the ground some day!
  • incantuincantu
    I'm pretty sure there is already a Graduale Simplex in Italian. It's called the Graduale Simplex. I'm joking, of course, but honestly I can't imagine native speakers of Italian would have much trouble with Latin comprehension or pronunciation.

I would suggest to the Reverend Father that he start by singing antiphons from the GS with verses sung in Italian to the Gregorian psalm tones. If this is successful, then one could think about adapting the antiphons themselves to the Italian language. There are two simple chant books in my local library in Italian that might be helpful as a reference:

Psallite Deo nostro : repertorio di canto ambrosiano

Psallite Domino : canti per la messa

Both books contain Latin chants with Italian literal translations.
  • There was an English translation of the GS...typed, I believe. Was there no Italian one? Anyone know where to look?