simple english propers project
  • Can somebody please help me locate the Simple English Propers for the four Sundays of Advent, Year A? I would like to begin teaching my schola the music now rather than later. Thank you!
  • The Simple English Propers are a work in progress. Having only recently started, they are only available a few weeks ahead of time.
  • @saintsulpice

I am going to try to get as far ahead with these as I can. I have heard that many people are beginning to use these settings in liturgy and I want to make sure that you can rely on them being there in plenty of time to have proper preparation. This is just a matter putting my nose to the grindstone. Please watch for the first weeks of Advent to appear very soon, perhaps this weekend or early next week.

Many blessings.
  • Adam...thanks for the information. Hope I didn't sound too impatient...this is new to us, and I want to be prepared to introduce the Vernacular Propers appropriately well-sung. I'll keep watch for your next postings of music.
  • Just checking in to see when we will have the English Propers for Advent I, for use next weekend? Thanks for any updates!
  • You'll have them tomorrow (11/19) saintsulpice. I offer my sincere apologies, but the drafts I have been releasing have been quick and dirty, and I'm working very very hard to get the horse in front of the cart on this project. Bear with us and you'll have a completed book in a few months!
  • Wow, Adam's gone viral!
  • Thanks for the update! Looking forward to introducing them to the cantors, choir and congregation. No need to apologize...I understand the need to be precise. Your efforts will be blessed.
  • Thank you for your patience. We're making progress!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I must say, your Introit for the first Sunday of Advent is ... truly marvelous. Absolutely splendid. Really fantastic --- infectious ---- I see it, and I cannot help myself --- I instantly sing the whole thing through.

And Fr. Samuel Weber's Psalm tones go PERFECTLY. Really splendid work.

If you complete this project (and I know you will), you will have done something so ... great. (I want to say the greatest accomplishment for Sacred music in the history of the USA).
  • That might be a bit on the presumptuous side, JMO, but thank you for the stellar review. The project will indeed be completed–-it has been commissioned! I hear that patrons get angry when their commissions don't get completed... My great hope is that it will simply be useful in parishes.
  • I don't think it is an exaggeration at all. This should have been done 40 years ago. History would have been very different. Anyway, the future will be different.
  • This is a wonderful project.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Adam, I've been working on an advertisement for your project:

• ooooh the White List!
  • Where does JMO find the time? What a hoot! I love it.
  • I am to thrilled with these, I used the ones for Christ the King and Advent I ... do you think we will have the Propers for Midnight Mass? Thank you, big thank you!!!

Bob Grant
    Costa Mesa CA
  • Haha, JMO! There's truly nothing new under the sun.

@lagunaredbob: Now that we are finally getting into the realm of production for the final book my goal is to have all of Advent done this week and the Christmas season the next. We'll see! I'm working with a few collaborators on a few tasks such as layout design and the modified Douay psalms, so this slows the process a bit. We'll push as hard as we can. Thank you for your feedback!
  • Adam and Jeff,

Thank you so much!!! This is a great work and I am looking forward to making full use of them. Thank you for all your hard work!!! I am out here in California, but if I can do anything to help, tell me!

Bob Grant
    Costa Mesa, CA
  • eft94530eft94530
    Testimonials on Hand from Bishops

Do we have a short list to whom a complimentary copy could be sent?
    Perhaps some might actually provide a testimonial,
    but at the least they might pass along the copy to their Cathedral Director of Music.
  • The Advent Season is finally complete
  • I know this is a terribly busy time, but any update on when the propers for Christmas (midnight Mass & Christmas Day) would be available? I've started using the introit & offertories with a beginning schola to great success (with the Latin communio).
  • We're working them as we speak. Look for them in a few days, no later than week's end. So sorry again for the impending fire drills. We're working as hard as we can!
  • Hi Adam,

I have been talking to the priests at our parish and they are very excited about this collection ... one question they asked me and I did not have an answer: Will there be a Proper of Commons and Proper of Saints (if I have worded that correctly)?

Thank you,
    Bob Grant
    St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
    Costa Mesa, CA
  • @lagunaredbob

The Proper of Saints and the Commons aren't in the scope of this first collection. This is something that can perhaps come in a later edition or a supplemental book perhaps. The first problem arises in regard to translations. We have used the translations from the Gregorian Missal and this does not contain either the Saints or the Commons, only Sundays and Feasts and Solemnities.
  • Simple Propers for Christmas

The rest of the Christmas season will be posted shortly also.