Verses for "In Paradisum"
  • Are there selected verses for the " In Paradisum?" AND is the "Chorus Angelorum" a separate antiphon. or part of a responsory?
  • In the Graduale Simplex (pp. 425-26) three separate antiphons are given: In paradisum, Chorus angelorum and Ego sum resurrectio. Only the last antiphon is accompanied by a psalm (Psalm 113 A, In exitu Israel). But it also possible to sing this, or other appropriate psalm verses, with either of the first two antiphons.
  • incantuincantu
    They are two separate antiphons -- even classified as different modes -- but the convention is to join the two together, which works quite nicely. I have not heard of pairing either of these antiphons with psalm verses. They are, after all, from the burial service and not merely processional chants. If more music is needed, you could repeat the text in polyphony, or sing the Ego sum resurrectio.
  • I have heard it with verses on a recording, Hmm? I will try to locate it.
  • I've always only encountered the In Paradisum as containing Chorus Angelorum. The instructions from the Liber (which is what I've always used) are to repeat the antiphon as needed. My typical practice is to repeat 2-4x as the corpse is borne out of the church and as the mourners take place outside.

I believe the instruction originally fit well within the context of a cemetery attached to the church, so the procession to the cemetery was on foot and relatively short.

Ego Sum is the antiphon (with psalm) provided for the burial itself, not the procession, at least according to how I've always encountered it and how it is described in the Liber. Where the cemetery is some distance (as is normally the case now-a-days), you could sing the In Paradisum as the corpse leaves the church and / or you can sing it at the cemetery as the corpse is positioned graveside. Celebrant says the prayer, this is followed by the Ego Sum with psalm and subsequent prayers, versicles and responses.
    555 x 607 - 60K
    556 x 706 - 80K
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • There are differences between the current rites and those before VII. Although the chants are largely the same, there are differences in how they are deployed. LU applies to the EF, but it looks as though the OP's (ancient!) questions relate to the OF.
    I think the answers are no and separate, but 1) these two go nicely together 2) they are the only elements of the requiem addressed to the deceased, 3) The Ordinariate prints them as though they are antiphon and responsory. Take your pick, after all Dum corpus effertur ex ecclesia, cani possunt. The GR and GS give the same three antiphons, and psalm, but the GR prints the rubric (above), and offers no tune for the psalm.