New Rhode Islander seeks new polyphonically-minded friends
  • Yum-Yum
    Hello,

I am a soprano, excellent sight reader, veteran of CMAA Colloquium back when it was just a handful of people at Christendom College!
    I'm available for cantoring/weddings/funerals/jackleg organ-playing in Rhode Island/southern Connecticut, etc. I am an experienced voice teacher and a former Catholic school music teacher in the Diocese of Arlington, VA. I am a very quick study and easy to work with.

You can hear my opera stuff and a sacred selection or two at my website, www.edencasteel.com. You can also contact me through that site, eden@edencasteel.com.

I had a lovely small schola at my parish in south central Michigan -- just moved three weeks ago -- looking to find some singers in Rhode Island/southern Connecticut, etc. to start a small polyphonic ensemble. Bruckner's motets are my all-time favorites, but I love early polyphony as well. I love to sing beautiful sacred music for the glory of God.

The best choir in the area is at Christ Church Episcopal in Westerly, with George Kent at the organ . . . but it is odd to hear Richard Proulx's arrangement of "Ave Maris Stella" at the Episcopal church, and "Lord Of The Dance" at the Catholic parish. I am not affiliated with any parish at the moment, and maybe that's for the best for now. I'm looking to sing just for the love of the singing, maybe eventually to grace some parish's choir loft for the odd week in Ordinary Time.

And so . .. I'm also looking for recommendations for parishes in Rhode Island that program music other than Haugen/Haas, etc. I have yet to find one but there are a lot of parishes around here! Never, never, never give up.
  • OlbashOlbash
    I've been itching to sing/conduct some polyphony this summer. I live in Bellingham, MA, the town just north of Woonsocket, RI, about a half-hour from Providence. We should jam some time.
  • I started a Meetup!

http://www.meetup.com/Chants-Occurrence/