Music Too Difficult for Choir
  • Mark P.
    I went to a Missa Cantata in the Extraordinary Form last night. The choir attempted a polyphoic setting of the Mass (Kyrie, Sanctus/Benedictus and Agnus Dei) that was too difficult for its abilities. It seemed as though it was "hanging by a thread" at any given time. The choir also sang Gregorian chant somewhat better but there were issues on its performance too with the two cantors unable to agree on pitch on some of the more melismatic (and soloistic) parts of the Proper.

What I longed to hear instead was music that was well within its abilities--even if it were a lesser composition. Also, the church has a magnificent pipe organ. I would have liked to have heard more of it rather than having every moment of the Offertory and Communion taken up with chant. My overall impression of the Mass probably was not enhanced by the young woman in the congregation with the Vox Humana voice who seemed to insist on singing louder than anyone else and was completely insensitive to the ritards being sung by the schola at the conclusion of the Gloria and Credo. This, of course, is out of the control on the parish musicians.

I also would have liked to have heard some crescendi and/or variety in dynamics. I guess I'm just too picky.
  • Liam
    Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would take more simple music sung well over Palestrina butchered any day.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    It seemed as though it was "hanging by a thread" at any given time.

LOL. Sometimes I feel like that sentence describes every performance I've ever given....and choirs I've directed....

What I longed to hear instead was music that was well within its abilities--even if it were a lesser composition.

Sometimes I feel the longer I live, the more I believe in this statement. Corpus Christi Watershed is trying to help in this area. That's why we've been posting simplified versions of the chants (on GoupilChant.org) and also, for example, promoting Kevin Allen's Three-part motets with simple Psalm Verses sung alternately with very short polyphonic Refrains.

The Chabanel Psalms also has "simpler" options.

We've taken some heat for offering choices that are "less than the ideal," but I would rather hear a beautifully sung Psalm tone than a butchered full chant any day.
  • Mark P.
    We often speak of the "hermeneutic of continuity" yet this seldom includes music of the more recent past--especially of the period immediately before the Second Vatican Council. The Anglicans sing music of all periods--including the 19th century. Trained Roman Catholic musicians seem to favor classical polyphony (wonderful), Gregorian chant (also wonderful) and modern compositions.

Now does this mean that the music from the 19th century through the 1950s is all worthy? No. But there are some gems among this repertoire:
    Missa Rosa Mystica of Vito Carnevali
    Mass in D Minor of Charles Herbert Kitson
    Missa Festiva of Alexander Gretchaninov
    Mass in Honor of St. Wilfrid of T. Frederick H. Candlyn
    Motets of Saint-Saens (Ave verum, Panis angelicus, Laudate Dominum, Tollite Hostias)

I'm sure others have examples that expand upon this topic.
  • The opportunity to attend such a Mass is a blessing indeed. To find a liturgy wherein you were able to hear those Ordinaries and the Propers, (although flawed through human frailty) seems to be a all too rare and you should count yourself fortunate. Perhaps you could lend your obvious expertise to whoever made the attempt at that wonderful music.
  • CharlesW
    I, too, have heard such "choirs" sing chant badly at every available spot during the mass. The inevitable statement from them is always, "I don't understand why the congregation doesn't like chant." I do.
  • For me, that's the terra incognita of Catholic church music (19th-early 20th c.). There's Rheinberger, Bruckner, and some Frenchmen (when Gounod found taste, he is hard to beat), but the easier things are forgotten. Thanks for the concrete suggestions, Mark; I'll look them up.

RoSewig isn't worth much, but it amuses me that he basically dropped off the map after Tra le Sollecitudini, when his music is much more in accord with the motu proprio than almost anything done in an OF Mass today. (I sing with somebody who grew up with RoSewig in Cleveland right before Vatican II!)
  • About underrehearsed music: some scholas pay their members in repertoire (since there's no money to pay for anything else). And as a model, that can work, if not taken to an extreme. What I think is risky, for the sort of forces one generally has, is doing polyphony with only once voice to a part. One brain fart, one fifth sung as a fourth (sopranos are good at that), and you're adrift on the high seas. But if somebody else is on your part, they won't make the same mistake, and can pull you back on. There may be wrong notes, but the fabric won't unravel.

Another big problem: music preparation. I've been in situations where music has been so small as to be almost illegible, or badly xeroxed, or a ton of loose pages printed on one side. When I can, I bind them in liturgical order. But the last EF mass I did, I didn't have time to do so, and I suddenly ran out of pages for the Sanctus, having mislaid one...and I was the only bass singer. Not my most glorious moment. Somebody waved a part in my face in time for a solid finish though.
  • Mark P.
    My former choir in California had a repertoire of Latin masses that it could call upon without too much rehearsal. There was upwards of 20 settings--some of which required more preparation than others. Missa brevis of Palestrina--rehearsal. Mass in Honor of St. Francis of Roger Wagner--no rehearsal. The advantage was that--depending on your resources--you could have a pretty nifty Mass without having to start from scratch. There was a whole slew of motets to draw upon also.

The polyphonic mass that was sung last night was learned for the occasion as was the Gregorian chant. It was sung by a schola of eight men. I would have replaced some of the Proper with psalm tones (maybe the Celebrant wouldn't have sat down during the Gradual). I would have sung a motet such as "O sacrum convivium" of Roberto Remondi in its (original) three part setting. Even Mass VIII well rendered would have been artistically superior to the polyphonic setting that was sung.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
  • @Jeffrey Quick,
    Interesting citation of RoSewig, as I'm preparing an Advent/Christmas Concert which will include two or three of his works. As I understand it, RoSewig and a whole bunch of folks from the mid 19th century were essentially relegated to a national "black list" by none other than one of his fellow Philadelphians, Nicholas Montani. I believe, again with the help of EFT, that another well known composer, James Cummings Peters (J.C. Peters Publishers, Cincinnati) was also on Montani's hit list, though it might be that his "Mass in D Major" could have been the Victorian era "Mass of Creation" in the states. More things change, more they.....
  • Mark P.
    Has anyone ever heard "Noel" or "Montez a Dieu" of Gounod? It was rendered in English by the boys' choir in the movie The Bishop's Wife. Absolutely exquisite. Carus Verlag CV 23.325/00 for soprano and alto soloists and SSA choir with organ. Highly recommended.
  • Still and all --- I would rather be in the position of being critical of something worthy that was not up to snuff than of suffering through something unworthy, no matter how well it was done. At least they have the Right Idea!
  • The "Mass in Honor of St Theresa" by Healey Willan. It was commissioned by the "New Saint Basil Hymnal" in 1958. Unison mass with organ. The Kyrie and Sanctus are quite charming. The Sanctus should be reworked into English for the new translation.

The entire hymnal is a treasure trove of quality music and text.
  • I confess to being a member of said 8-man schola. We are a group of amateurs that sang together for the first time publicly at this Mass. We did not sing for the local music critics from neighboring (or cross-town) parishes. We sang to: 1) give praise and thanks to God; and 2) to promote the use of Gregorian chant and traditional polyphonic music in the Mass. In that, we generally succeeded; and we plan to continue to work at becoming better. As a singer, I usually seek candid feedback from people I trust, in the interest of improving the next time. Those people indeed, pointed out some of our faults and shortcomings, but overall found the Mass to be reverent, beautiful and prayerful and did not consider the music a distraction. Perhaps they were focused on the purpose of being at Mass in the first place.
  • John B - keep up the good work! It is a far better thing to try at Tallis than to succeed (?) at Haugen.
  • Maureen
    Chin up, John B! I'm fairly sure the original poster had no animus toward you. He was just pointing out an example of a tendency that all choirs struggle with, not attacking you and yours. And anyway, next time, you'll do better. This is one of the charms of there always being a "next time". :) There's nothing wrong with us reminding each other occasionally that not every choir is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, nor needs to be. I'm sorry that your group apparently provided the occasion; but it's clear that the original poster had no idea of publically pointing out your group, or he would have named names.

(And actually, there's no proof that he meant your group and your Mass, unless you know the poster personally and saw him there. He might have been visiting Uruguay or the Mongolian Men's Schola, for all we know.)

Congregations as a whole tend to have a benevolent attitude toward anybody who's trying, and enjoy whatever you give them. (Which is a darned good thing, considering the last time I was assigned to singing the Ave Maria. I was having a nightmare, but the congregation mostly didn't notice anything wrong. I counted my blessings and went on.) However, often this is the product of them not actually paying much attention, or not remembering how the song actually goes. Talk about good news, bad news, right?

OTOH, it's unfair to criticize people for noticing vocal flaws. I mean, sheesh, we practice an audible art, naked to the ear of all comers. (Indeed, everybody else hears a singer better than the singer himself, because the singer doesn't have the best listening point.) Anybody who's minded to listen with both ears will hear and will notice this stuff. We don't want people not to listen to us, or we'd keep our big mouths shut! So sure, there's always going to be imperfection; and sometimes that's our little secret, but sometimes people do point it out. That's life for singers. It keeps us humble. (And easily depressed....)

The important thing is not to be discouraged. You are doing a big thing, so of course it won't all come at once. Do better next time, and all the annoyance and worry will melt away.
  • Heck, do worse the next time, just don't stop.

Mark's pointing out that there are frustrations to standing in a congregation and recognizing that things around him fell short of what they could be, things over which no one has any control...like the singer who refused to cut off.

Most people would go out for a drink and get over it. Mark posted. We do feel his pain and that of John as well, and it's big of John to admit that he may have been part of this.
  • Remember, anything worth doing is worth doing badly. And that all of us do it badly, in comparison to the heavenly choirs, and it's all a matter of degree... which may have been exaggerated in this case.

Heck, I even invented a word for one such instance I was involved in: wreckquiem.
  • I will, for just a couple of sentences, return to my soap-box:

Whether or not you consider it "legitimate" practice, the use of organ accompaniment is NOT disallowed by the Church! One reasonably good organ ACCOMPANIST would make a world of difference. It CAN sound like the choir of angels joining in - both to the beauty that the congregation hears, and to the tonal foundations (and musical performance confidence) of the singers.

Just try it. The only complaints you'll probably get will be from the 'purists' on these forums!

(Dismounting from soap-box.)
  • Talented organists can really add to a Mass with chant...improvising on the themes alone beats the heck out of meaningless doodling.

French organists do it as part of their tradition, most of the chant-based organ works on paper started out as improvs.

Mark Winchester's Elevations were written (and posted here under compositions) to show one way to take a chant melody and play it on the organ.

The most important thing is to conceive of the playing as standing alone, being a part of the music of the Mass, not just something played to fill time. An introduction to unaccompanied chant by the organ can be very effective and the organ playing after the as well.
  • don roy
    thgis brings up many interesting points. for example the phrase "good enough for church work" as an excuse for banality. who are we singing to? God for whom we offer our best no matter how imperfect or a captive congregation? i remember hearing a priest who said god would rejoice more with an aweful out of tune rendition if it was "earnestly "done then a proffessional choir doing it for money. (obviously this was a point of dissagreement)
    my choir recently did a spirited somewhat overblown rendition of lottis regina caeli. it wasnt perfect (as compaired to westminster cathedral) but for a former folk group it was pretty darned spectacular. i posted it on youtube but a negative (read cruel) comment forced me to take it down lest my choir become discouraged.
    In order to lead a choir to excellence its important to understand the process and to know when the group is giving its best no matter what the imperfecrions. my choir struggled for a year with the vivaldi "et in terra pax" and when done it was far from perfect. However what the choir learnwed during that process was invaluable.
    every group needs a leader who knows the repertoire well enough to know what will and will not work.
    I would also encourage the unnamed group to not give up. each time it gets better and more polished. what we cannot ever say is that its "good enough for church work"
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    As a "chant should always be unaccompanied" kinda guy, I have to say: Chant w/organ is better than no chant at all. And good chant w/organ is better than bad chant without.

Hmm... I guess that makes me less of a purist than just someone with a strong preference.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Having struggled to lead a schola for about 5 years, I have to admit that not all moments have been glorious. We do what we are able, we try to improve, and hope that people will be gracious and forgiving of our faults.

It doesn't always work that way, of course, we have the usual number of chant-agnostics and Latin-haters in the parish. It requires developing a bit of a tough hide.

I admit that I haven't yet been courageous enough to publicize our recordings on this forum, lest I be the recipient of harsh criticism. And I consider it somewhat of a grace that my schola members don't read some of the discussions here.

It's important, I suppose, to discuss what we DON'T like here. But it always seems that it draws more energy than the more positive reviews. That said, this forum is more balanced than some others.

We're human, I guess. Have to learn to live with that. ;-)
  • Arrgh! -- my good friend Steve had to lob that boulder 'purist' into the fray. Could not one logically conclude that if one who does not advocate 'accompanied' chant is a 'purist', then to 'accompany' chant is impure?? Well, not to engage here in academic (or otherwise) argumentation pro or con about this horse. I will only state (as one of those 'purists') that there is nothing in all of chant history to be pure about unless one wishes to hold any five minute event in any given century as the quickly passing exemplar of a would-be golden age. In other words, purity in chant does not exist. There is no doubt on my part that partisans of the 'Solesmes Method" (which is no longer taught at Solesmes) would consider that the Romans who thought the Franks' chanting was 'inelegant' were themselves impure. None of us here would (likely) perform chant on a Sunday morning using the Marcel Peres 'method', even though this method May well be more 'pure' than our current refined and stylised ideal. My objections to 'accompanied' chant have nothing to do with any deluded sense of 'purity'. They, rather, stem from the conviction that chant is a purely vocal art which inevitably suffers adulteration of character, form and substance with the addition of non-vocal elements. Some of my colleagues do not share this view. But, they should not dismiss those of us who do as 'purists' - as though this term in and of itself were a disqualifier of legitimacy. Far from it! The burden of proof lies always elsewhere.
  • Charles in CenCA,
    I knew about that blacklist...it's here: http://musicasacra.com/pdf/blacklist.pdf. Given that one of the predecessor organizations of CMAA was responsible for it, it's kind of cool that they make it available for archival purposes. I think that somebody ought to research and record some of this music, maybe call the CD "Forbidden fruits of the Mass" or somesuch.
  • chonakchonak
    The growth of Gregorian chant choirs has brought wonderful results in many places, and, as Mark P. is right to point out, there are also some less-than-wonderful results.

There are good people volunteering to bring this music back into use, but some aren't always able or ready to produce a decent-sounding performance.

I've met soloists trying to learn the music from books alone, without having ever been taught by anyone in person. Some choir directors are so happy to have anybody volunteer, they don't want to discourage anyone by correcting problems, or admitting that a piece is not ready for performance. Some of them take on too much work without enough rehearsal time, and the performance suffers as a result.

For now, all I can do is shrug and say, "It's a process."
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I'm glad to find this thread. I've been recently unsettled in some of my conversations with an amateur musician friend about quality of music at a Mass. She can't understand why I'm so caught up in making it sound good. She says the singing should be for enjoyment, and for the glory of God, and I shouldn't be so preoccupied with perfection. (Her taste in music is very similar to mine, but she comes from a choir that doesn't even warm up before Mass, and the introit is thrown together -- sometimes quite poorly -- ten minutes before Mass.) I agree with her in some respects, but don't think I should relinquish the desire for perfection.

I ran into this inner conflict just today: my 5th graders sang exquisitely at rehearsal, and then walked over to the church and rendered their two pieces in much poorer quality. I was quite disappointed, but didn't show it because they were indeed doing their best, were doing it for the glory of God, and the majority of the congregation were still greatly moved to hear them.

On the other hand, I was frustrated. We had worked hard on those two pieces, and they won't be singing them again for Mass for several months. They had rendered them well before, but no one else got to hear what they can do.

My friend doesn't understand the frustration that is often partnered with the artistic desire for great music. I have to expect and work for greatness, or the music won't be of quality. And I can't let go of that desire for greatness, or I will lose the motivation to continue my work. The hard thing is letting go when music doesn't meet my reasonable standards (or at least I like to think they're reasonable), and re-focusing on the greater reason for my work in the first place: the glory of God and sanctification of the faithful.

Of course, I think a good deal of my frustration in conversation is the fact that my friend is an amateur, and mistakes just don't bother her like they bother me.

Ah, the artistic temperament is such a gift and a curse!
  • Angela - you have the Right Idea. When our very best is the least we should offer, it is astonishing that there are those who would make excuses for their poorest efforts. The mass is not a forum for them to sing for their entertainment and 'just' for the 'glory of God'. What preposterous arrogance! It rather calls to mind the parable of the talents, doesn't it? (And don't be discouraged if your students fall short. It will take them a while to become 'seasoned troopers'.)
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Actually, I've been astonished how doors keep opening for me here in Peoria. I came here three yeras ago as a fairly seasoned cantor and choir soprano, and a big desire to follow the will of God and to help with the renewal of liturgical music. Great steps have been made here with my foundation of the Cathedral Chant School, and my kids at the parochial school have come a long way in two years of hard work on the Mass. But we still have a long way to go! I just got a new principal at my school who not only supports what I'm doing with the kids, but sees it as a mission and is giving me the time I need to devote to doing it well. My above-mentioned 5th grade sang at the Cathedral this week for the diocesan All School Mass, and received accolades from the bishop. I just started the Ward Method with grades 1-3, and next week start teaching the Missa de Angelis to my school. God has blessed me abundantly in my desire to do His work, and continues to do so. I am so grateful, especially after reading the accounts of frustration that so many musicians post here on this forum.

I hope that I'm striking the right balance as far as my motivations and what comes first. But I often find myself graciously receiving thanks from others, and still thinking what a far cry the rendering of the music is from what it could be. My friend is right to remind me of what comes first.
  • This was the Introit from our EF Mass on 9/14: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roSt6Y1FdIE&sns=em

To the extent that you want to "critique" it, I'll leave that to you and your conscience. But, this was not a concert. It was a Mass, and I think the 8-men who sang together for the first time, under a new Music Director, did a commendable job. The Byrd Mass was a bit of a stretch for us, but when we get a clip up, I will be glad to share that, too. It wasn't as bad as the original poster suggests; in fact, most people thought it was quite good. This is St. Theresa Catholic Church in Sugar Land, TX. Our new MD is Dr. Kevin Clarke, and anyone who thinks they can help us get better is welcome to come join us. Just, please don't post artistic criticisms on the Internet; if we were all subjected to that after every sung Mass, there would be no more sung Masses, and we would never have the opportunity to improve. Encourage each other daily . . . Peace to all.
  • I agree with John.

This church went a long time finding the right person, irritating people along the way, but the wait was worth it!

All we can hope for is a few moments of beauty at first. These guys are way beyond that.

There are those who criticize priests. This one deserves a thanks from everyone.
  • Fine job!!!
  • John B,
    I congratulate you & your schola and offer my prayers for your success. I have a fine recording of the Widor "Messe" of 1878 and the Durufle Requiem that Dr. Clark did 3 or 4 years ago. We will hear good things about you in the future.
  • chonakchonak
    @John B: I particularly enjoyed the group's unison!
  • Mark P.
    I never said what parish I visited. I never said what the setting of the Mass was. I'm sticking to that.
  • I hope I'm not way off topic on this, but reading this makes me very uncomfortable. In our parish, our new pastor is making some very (painful to some) changes, by removing the OCP music program and asking for polyphony, chant, and a monthly latin mass. He then cautions us on being sure that choirs prepare well enough that the music is fitting for mass. As much as I agree with everything he is asking for because it is what the Church is asking for, he offers no support on how to accomplish it. The mean age of my choir is 9 years old. I have no formal training and, frankly, reading this site, as beautiful as it is, makes me feel incredibly "stupid" as my kids would say. Much of what is posted here is like reading my son's physics 12 textbook; it's all very fascinating, but I haven't a clue how to do it. The appeal of the OCP program and the reason so many parishes hang onto it, is that all musical decisions are spoon-fed to subscribers, and the music itself is simple enough to "do well", although one could argue that good OCP music is an oxymoron. Anyway, my point is that there are so many of us volunteers who would dearly, dearly love to do the right thing and do it well, but have no idea where to begin. Would anyone consider mentoring recovering OCPers?
  • Conbrio has clearly stated the problem.

Most parishes are so comfortable being told by OCP what hymns to sing and what to do for the liturgy that trying to get out of their endless loop is very, very frightening.

There are people on this list that are working to attempt to create materials and help people in your situation, Combrio. Especially attractive is that your pastor wants this. Much of the discussion here is about how to get a pastor to want it.

It is very, very confusing, I agree, to figure out what to do. This forum and its materials are like a multi-layer cake with help and advice for all levels.

It is possible to take your choir and music program from where it is now to a higher level that embraces what your pastor wants. It is scary, I know.

I and others would love to help you. This would be a good new topic. I'd suggest you describe your choir, tell us what they can do (sing in unison, sing in parts...that sort of thing) and let us know what they sing at mass now.

By the way, welcome.
  • I should add that I am working on creating materials that ease the transition into chant, and have been in touch others who are enthusiastic about creating materials. There are ways to do this even if you now do not read or understand anything about Gregorian chant and Latin.
  • Thank you very much, frogman. Although I have been directing a choir for 20 years, I am completely intimidated by all of this. For half of those years, I was in a diocese where liturgical abuse was shockingly prevalent, so I spent a great deal of time reading Church documents on the liturgy, Jungman, etc. just so I'd be able to teach my kids with some confidence, what the liturgy should look like. As for the music end of it, when OCP came knocking, I was just relieved to have something "official" to follow so I could at least argue for the correct placement of the Gloria, etc. (Yes, it was actually moved to "announce the Gospel" for "more impact"....*sheesh*)
    Anyway, I will start a new thread and wait with eager anticipation (hesitation?), what concrete suggestions you folks may have to offer. Thanks again for not talking down to me!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Perhaps a good resource would be an OCP-like "Traditional Music Program," geared for the vernacular OF with Latin and English options throughout (the EF people and the Latin -only mostly know what they're doing I think).
    CC Watershed's OF propers, Alleluias, and Chabanel Psalms are great starting places.
    Combined with selections from the other various resources available from CMAA and it's friends...

The whole thing could be packaged up, along with some pedagogical material to help with the musicality, and made available for free download or as a paid for bound stuff, in a way that makes it directly compete (so to speak) with the "Liturgical Programs" from the major publishers.

All the resources (or most of them) exist already. It's just a packaging issue.
    Proceeds could be split between CC watershed and CMAA (for the benefit of the Colloquium Scholarship fund).

I would help:
    -music typesetting
    -print design / packaging
    -web design / ecommerce stuff
    -cheerleading

The resources that exist are amazing- but they're in twenty places, spread across multiple PDFs on several websites. The explosion of work in this field has also opened up a maddening array of choices- which is good for the experienced or those with extra time. But if it was all bound up so that on a Sunday you got:
    Propers: Easy, Med, Hard options (or 1, 2, 3-part options, or something like that)
    Ordinary: ICEL chants (after new trans), the small handful of Vatican suggested Gregorian Ordinaries, and one or two additional options (like Bartlett's stuff, for example)
    Hymns, Motets, and Etc.: Suggestions, options, along with specific information about how they could/should be used (that is, as a supplement to, not a replacement for, the Propers)
    Easy Organ pieces, for preludes, interludes, postludes, and any other ludes you might need

The effect would be like an experienced choir director showing up at your side and saying:
    "Yes- so many wonderful choices! Where to begin?
    Here- you really ought to do this setting and this setting because they're easy and good. Do this piece because it'll be a stretch but you ought to be able to pull it off easily. Don't forget to do a sequence on Pentecost- here's a setting so you don't have to look one up. By the way, It's Advent now, don't forget to omit the Gloria and by the way here's a lovely Kyrie to do for the season."

Choir director could download the PDF each week 10 minutes before choir practice, print it 10 times, punch holes, hand it out, and start rehearsal on page 1. Hours of work sorting through Gather Comprehensive would vanish.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it....

If someone more qualified than me takes the lead- I'll help.
    If no one else does, I'll start it myself... I think there's both goodness and money to be made on this, and I think a printed edition could give OCP some serious competition. (I'll split proceeds with CMMA and CCW if it takes off).
  • Conbrio, welcome.
    Questions you need to ask your pastor before even proceeding with step one of remediation.
    1. (Simplest question) By "once a month Latin Mass," does he mean A. OF (Novus Ordo-Paul VI Missal) or EF (TLM, John XXIII '62 Missal.) Or might he mean "all music is sung in Latin by choir/congregation, and lessons and celebrant orations remain in English?
    2. Which movements of the Mass Ordinary does he personally prioritize as requiring vocal participation by all? Ask him if all the movements of the ordinary are to be sung, notably the Gloria and Credo. (Don't initiate a discussion of the IGRM/CSL options and canons, if he wants to cite documents, let him without comment that would seem to challenge his priorities. He's the pastor.)
    3. Ask him if he intends to chant his collects and orations at all or specific Sunday Masses? (Very important question.)
    4. Ask him to outline his vision for implementing the use of the Propers; if he only mentions the processional propers, ask him which form of the responsorial psalm or gradual, gospel acclamation or tract, and the occasional sequences he would like to implement.
    5. Ask him whether he has any preferences insofar as permitting "traditional" hymnody (that is orthodox) within the context of Mass or not.
    6. Ask him if he is fundamentally opposed to, or supports chants that are set to English texts, or psalm tone renditions of liturgical texts in English.
    7. Ask him if, given all possible scenarios, he would patiently support "progressive solemnity" as the "new" attributes of the celebration of Mass are implemented.

That's all I got for you now. But I wouldn't make a substantive move in response to his mandate until you have a catalog of what items he's packed into that mandate.
    Then I think we can best give you advice.

I can be reached at cculbreth (at) tccov (dot) org (dot)
  • Adam,

I agree that a program for people to follow is needed, badly. And in a format that they can buy or download or free.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    FNJ
    You wanna collaborate?
  • I would be interested. The scholarship fund is a very, very worthy cause.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Anyway, my point is that there are so many of us volunteers who would dearly, dearly love to do the right thing and do it well, but have no idea where to begin. Would anyone consider mentoring recovering OCPers?

Conbrio, your question is an excellent one and deserves a direct answer. After being on this forum for several years, I observe that there's 3 types of participants:
    1. 90% never post anything, they just read eagerly and learn as much as they can.
    2. 9% occasionally chime in, but still think of themselves as newbies, unworthy of the honored title of "mentor" regarding this subject.
    3. 1% are extremely active, but they're also the most active in their parishes and other kinds of projects. They are reluctant to take on a new official role, but can be immensely helpful if asked specific questions.

These numbers weren't exactly picked out of the air - they've been observed about many kinds of public forums and seem to apply here as well.

The problem is that this leaves you with possible mentors who either don't feel qualified, or are so busy that they're reluctant to volunteer for such a role. I've run into this myself, here in this forum and in other aspects of My Real Life.

My recommendations:
    1. Go ahead and ask questions on the forum; it almost always results in useful feedback although some topics can wander off into the weeds. The more specific the better, and sometimes you have to be persistent to keep the topic on track.
    2. When you find someone who seems to have useful relevant expertise, just e-mail them. I've found everyone here to be incredibly helpful.
    3. If you really do think a mentor is in order, then approach someone individually and ask them. Let them know how much help you expect. And also, realize that each of us just has a particular view on how to help a parish move to more sacred music, and each of us has a different situation. So be open to the idea of interacting with, say, five people on a regular basis to get some diversity of ideas. Stuff that works for me may not work for you, and so on.

Carl