Is this sneaky? I'd say it is considerate.
  • The Saturday Vigil Mass (along with the "latest Mass on Sunday in driving distance") are prime candidates for evangelizing the cause for Chant...and providing singers a Schola to come and sing in without having to abandon their home parishes.

This is a Mass that is sometimes staffed by a cantor who is there, not for vocal or musical ability, but because she's available. And in some cases the cantor is a needed choir member who, through family pressure, does not show up for choir on weekends to do double duty.

Solve the problem if you have it, by creating a schola and for the first four weeks sing the music that they are already singing at the Mass….enough time to rehearse the group in better music.

Start rehearsal an hour and a half before the Mass and as a regular thing hit a nearby restaurant for dinner after Mass and let the choir know that you would enjoy having them come along. There are many single, divorced and widowed Catholics for who a Saturday night means sitting home while other people are out having fun, people who would welcome a chance to have something to do on Saturdays that fills their time in a meaningful manner.

Now if you can get your pastor to come along for dinner, you are on the way to changing the entire music program of the parish.

Much of running a choir program is going beyond just being glad to see them at rehearsal. This gives you time to get to know them as well.

Now…what about the music? At first, leave it alone.

Then, on the fifth week have the choir sing a really, really old-fashioned Catholic hymn at the Offertory. Softly. Prepare the people for the Consecration through your song, creating an atmosphere of solemnity.

Then sing, as the priest receives, an Agnus Dei.

Leave everything else as it is. Hard to do, I know, but worth it.

And if you sing chant, accompany it. And even sing it in English.

It's easier to move gradually, giving complainers less to complain about, than doing a total makeover.

I've been hired to do a total makeover, charged to change EVERYTHING and it can only succeed if you have support of the priests you are hired by and there is no change in clergy.

But we are not singing the Propers, and the Gloria and…. though you may feel that you have done little to effect change, it's not true.

Most importantly, you have substituted one person wailing away over the microphone with a group of people singing. It was the tradition to not have soloists and to dress choir members alike and even hide them in a loft so that when a single person was singing they did not have a physical presence as a soloist. So you have made one big move already.

Then you sang something that old-timers love.

Then during a time of utmost solemnity - the priest's reception of the Blessed Sacrament - which is followed by minutes of chaos as Extraordinary Ministers approach, receive and then move to their "stations", you have been able to cast a solemn musical net over all of this, creating an atmosphere conducive to prayer and preparation by singing the Agnus Dei.

If you accompany it, many people will not notice that it's that much different from other music. But you will notice that they are much quieter as a congregation while it is being sung. That's due to the fact that movies use Gregorian Chant to make a scene on a church "solemn" and people react to what they have learned at the movies without realizing it.

Is this sneaky? I'd say it is considerate.
  • very very wise. This is excellent thinking, consistent with real world issues.
  • From what I've noticed around here, those "latest masses" on Sunday are usually reserved for the folk group that has been in the parish for the past 30 years and will not go down without a fight...
  • It is a convenient place to put them, as the people at Saturday Vigil might complain, while those squeezing in under the line late on Sunday....
  • chonakchonak
    Around here, last Masses on Sunday could be anything. Some have youth bands. Some have just an organist.

The Saturday 4 p.m. Masses around here tend to skew older, which means that those congregations generally are just fine with sacro-pop and even sing along with it sometimes, so I expect a delicate approach is needed to introduce any music that's not in the missal booklet.
  • If the priest is with you, ask him to help sensitize the people to chant by singing his parts, maybe starting with the Preface dialog, and leading the Pater (Eng chant). No need to accompany these parts with organ. Untrained congregations do it all the time, and even better with the accompaniment of the choir.
    You can offer to coach him. The people can begin chanting without even
    thinking about it. Then, when you're ready to chant parts of the ordinary, accompanied if necessary for a time, chant won't be a foreign thing to them.
    I don't think your plan is sneaky, but very practical. Hope we get to hear seasonal updates. Many prayers for willing singers!
  • Just one thing I noticed, and I could be misunderstanding you...
    The rubrics (in the OF) specifically call for the communion antiphon to begin while the priest is communicating. While many places don't do this, or wait a bit, its too late liturgically for the Agnus to be sung. But I think I am misreading you, my apologies if so.
  • CharlesW
    MA, you are correct. That is exactly what the rubrics require.
  • rob
    I didn't catch that. I thought maybe the notion was to sneak in a chant or polyphonic setting of the Agnus Dei, after the antiphon, as an "alius cantus aptus" for Communion. Seasonally, I suppose the same could be done with a Kyrie (or why not even a Gloria or Sanctus/Benedictus). Then, as your plan proceeded, you could re-introduce them in their ordinary places and they would seem familiar to the congregation.
  • The choir sings a chant Agnus Dei while the priest receives. There is no rubric that denies this as long as the Lamb of God is said/sung/chanted/recited in its place.

Rob's Right!

Remember, you are at this point leaving everything as is, except for the choir singing a traditional hymn at offertory and choir singing a chant Agnus Dei in English or Latin while the priest receives. After a time then the people woudl be invited to sing it with the choir at the point in the Mass where it normally belongs.

I should have been clearer. This is, by the way, not my suggestion, but one that Benedict XVI tells about in one of his books. This is how his brother reintroduced chant to the congregation he served.

And the elderly on Saturday - it is very common for them to be there in numbers - SacroPop is one thing that they know, but many of them also know the chant, and that is another reason this is a good Mass to sing.
  • The Saturday crowd resists a show of any sort, especially one that takes extra time. This makes this spot hard for Chant workshops. But it makes it very friendly to a new schola.
  • I second MA's exhortation to chant the Communio upon the celebrant's reception, at all Masses, not just the Vigil. We benefit (in many ways) by the decision to offer reception under both species so it's a virtual "invitation" to chant the proper, or sing the SCG version after that moment, and when he distributes the ciboria/chalices. Wendy and I cantor the first of our parish's two Vigils. Our normal practice is to chant the English setting out of B.Ford's AG, and then upon returning from the English verse graduate to the Gregorian Missal antiphon, with or sometimes without addition verses found in Rice's Communio. We have only received very positive responses from all generations of folk. At choral Masses we follow the same timeline, only using the SCG or the AG.
    Oh, and then a processional hymn is taken up by the folks.
  • CenCA is correct, and it is very effective, once the Agnus Dei is moved to its proper place, to sing the Communion Verse.

Do it in English, sing a verse and then sing the verse once again in Latin.

Accompany it.

Once again, do everything you can to do the chant in a form that does not deviate much from what they are used to.

This is a GREAT PLACE to accompany chant with guitars if guitar has been the traditional instrument at the Mass. What can they do? To the ear, there is not a lotof the difference between singing a chant with plucked or strummed accompaniment and the rambling accompaniment some people already play to contemporary songs.

Guitarists can be your biggest supporters. It's happened to me. Many of them are frustrated with their own abilities and with the poor music they sing. When befriended by chant people they often think things through and want to abandon what they are doing and join up.
  • rob
    Sneaky (in the holiest sense of the word, or too cute?

DA PACEM DOMINE
    (Tune: S. Miller & J. Jackson, “LET THERE BE PEACE ON EARTH”)

A. Da pacem Domine,
    To those who wait in You.
    Da pacem Domine,
    Let prophets proclaim You.

V. Hear the prayers of Your servant,
    And of all Israel.
    May we walk as Your servants,
    Your glory forth to tell.

D. All Glory to the Father,
    All Glory to the Son,
    All Glory to the Spirit:
    Our God, the Three-in-One.