T is for Teresa
  • Kathy
    To the tune ISTE CONFESSOR: the hymn tune for Doctors of the Universal Church. This one's for the Singing Mum:

This is the feast day of the Lord's true witness,
    Lover of Jesus, leading others to Him,
    Woman of wisdom, passionate and truthful,
    Filled with God's favor.

God gave her grace like water from the heavens.
    She drank it deeply, even as she suffered;
    Perfectly docile, saint and holy teacher:
    Light for the ages.

Mantle around us, Mary, flow'r of Carmel,
    Pray to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
    That They may give us, with the great Teresa,
    Life everlasting.

c. 2003 Kathleen Pluth. May be used only with permission.
  • Kathy,

Have you explored posting these here under Creative Commons 3.0? It might better protect your ownership while permitting sharing, like PBC.
  • Kathy
    Noel,

No, I haven't really looked into Creative Commons. The particular protection I would want is to be able to choose my composer-collaborators. Does CC 3.0 offer this kind of protection?
  • Don't have a clue! I am sure there is someone on the list that might advise.
  • Kathy
    Why don't we just leave things the way they are. That's certainly fine with me.
  • Wow, thanks Kathy!
    You do not cease to amaze.

I can bring my small Bl. MT relic to the next SD coffee talk. Hopefully in Nov sometime?
  • Ok, a second reading has me confused. Teresa of Avila? Benedicta? I am thrilled in any case, as I love my big sisters, and humbled that I don't get it. :)
  • I think we should sing it in Arlington Starbucks ;-P
  • Kathy
    Charles, I think we should, esp. since I don't think I'll be getting home in November, alas.

It's the Great Teresa, St. Teresa of Avila. When they asked Mother Teresa whose namesake she was, she said, "Not the great one! The little one, Therese." Keep the faith, MA, I admire you.
  • Chrism
    Kathy,

Here is more information on CC 3.0. I think if you choose a "No Derivatives" license for the arrangement (text + music), it looks like you will receive the protection you're looking for. That means you need to have rights to the music before licensing it, so either you and the composer jointly agree to license the hymn arrangement in CC, or else you use a public domain tune.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Dear Kathy,

I'm assuming that your post of these lyrics on the forum constitutes permission for us to use it? I plan to use it for my school Mass, if it is okay with you. (My principal is pretty strict on copyright issues, so I just want to make sure I have my basics covered!)

Angela
  • Kathy
    Hi, Angela. You have my permission! Thank you for asking, and thanks for using it at a school Mass (our most important venue for liturgical training, imho).
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Kathy, thanks so much! I'll be requesting copies from our secretary tomorrow. I love that tune so much, and it's a good excuse to start teaching it to my kids.