Gather Us In - In Latin
  • Just when I was thinking that things always sound great in Latin....

ht Fr. Z. Gather Us In
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Hmmm. How come it sounds like a typical Spanish song?
  • JamJam
    XD at all the commenters who heard "sushi" in there... I'm thinking what he said was "suscitabimur" or "we will be stirred up/awakened." sounds about right.

hearing this has helped me articulate another problem I see in trying to adapt dance music (or dance music-like music) for liturgical purposes... seems to me that all the syllables of the words get divided up in such a way that the divisions between words and the divisions between syllables are the same. To where if you know another language but aren't fluent in it, trying to understand what is being sung is extra difficult, because the text is only there to decorate the music, rather than the other way around.
  • Chrism
    1. This proves the argument that no matter the lyrics, the music can still be profane, and thus sacrilegious if used for worship.

2. Likewise, it isn't the piano alone, but the pop style of singing that makes the result profane. Some early Church singers were forbidden under pain of excommunication to put their talent to secular use. At the very least, we can agree that you shouldn't sing hymns the way you sing Billy Joel.

3. To improve the music--besides dropping the piano, he might consider observing the ictus (see attached).

(If anyone wants to improve the score, whisper to me and I'll whisper back with the gabc.)