Communion proper for Queenship of Mary
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    The last time I asked, someone came along and gave me exactly what I was looking for ... I'm hoping someone will be so kind this time as well.

I am looking for the Communion proper for the Queenship of Mary, August 22, in modern notation. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Thank you for all of your help.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    With a little sleuthing in Wikipedia, the 1961 Graduale (p. 504, p. 504d, and p. 552), and the Nova Organi Harmonia (Vol. 3, p. 272), I managed to find Regina mundi.

I learned that this was feast was originally celebrated on May 31, but was later moved to August 22. The Communion chant is the same for the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, on July 16.

I've created a page here from the NOH. Hope this helps!
  • dvalerio
    The Queenship of Mary is celebrated in August 22 only in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite. And for the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, the Communion, as prescribed by the Graduale Romanum, is Diffusa est gratia. You can find that, in modern notation, in p. 1258 of the 1924 Liber Usualis or in p. 1446 of the 1932 Liber Usualis.

Regina Mundi is the Communion for the Extraordinary Form of the rite. This means that, according to the rubrics, you could still employ it. But it is a neo-gregorian composition, while Diffusa est gratia is authentic, and can be sung in more occasions (so the time it takes to learn can be said to be better spent...).

(The Missale Romanum, 2002 edition, has a communion antiphon, Beata es, that has no exact correspondence in the repertory of Gregorian chant. But there is an Office antiphon with more or less the same text, though in a different translation. You can find it, in mordern notation, in p. 1232 of the 1924 Liber Usualis, or in p. 1415 of the 1932 Liber Usualis.)
    Thank you all so much.
  • Liam
    And, of course, in the Ordinary Form, the memorial is displaced by the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, and there is no commemoration.
  • Liam
    Unless it's a titular solemnity, of course....
  • Duarte, are you sure that the Regina Mundi is the EF communio for this feast? Isn't it the Dixit Jesus matri suae?
  • dvalerio
    It's a matter of dates. The EF communion for the Queenship of Mary (May 31) is Regina Mundi. The EF communion for the Immaculate Heart of Mary (August 22) is Dixit Iesus matri suae.

And, for the sake of completeness: The OF communion for the Queenship of Mary (August 22) is Diffusa est gratia. The OF communion for the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Saturday after the second Sunday after Pentecost) is Narrabo omnia (with Ps. 9).

The above, according to the Graduale; if you consider the Missal, results are different. The OF communion for the Queenship of Mary (August 22) is Beata es, quae credidisti. The OF communion for the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Saturday after the second Sunday after Pentecost) is Maria conservabat omnia verba haec. (These are Office antiphons, with different words because the translation employed is different. You can find the antiphons in the 1912 Antiphonale.)

Confused? :)
  • I get it. Thanks.

What a wonderful theology of communion in the Diffusa est: How very true that grace is poured upon our lips in the Eucharist!
  • francis
    Is not the Queenship of Mary superceded by Sunday this year? The Assumption is celebrated, but I don't believe we celebrate the Queenship.
  • You are correct, Francis. Unless, as Liam says, it's a titular solemnity.
  • Liam
    I like to remind people about dedicatory, patronal and titular solemnities: they do trump Sundays of Ordinary Time in the table of precedence for the Universal Calendar, and are in my experience often neglected at the parish and sometimes even diocesan level. They are so important that they can be transferred to a Sunday of Ordinary Time (not Advent/Christmas/Lent/Eastertide, though).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    dedicatory, patronal and titular solemnities: they do trump Sundays of Ordinary Time in the table of precedence for the Universal Calendar, and are in my experience often neglected at the parish and sometimes even diocesan level

fo real, yo.

I was always disappointed back home when we just skipped over the Feast of Our Lady of Grace (the name of parish), the feast of the Seven Holy Founders (we were staffed by Servites for the first 10 years of existence), the anniversary of the dedication of our building (which most of the current congregation was in attendance, as it happened in the mid-1990s), and the anniversaries of the death of two of our priests...

Never missed a chance to honor Our Lady of Guadalupe, though. (Which I don't mind- but, you know, come on!)
    My parish's patron is Mary, in her title as Queen; therefore, as others have observed, this Sunday we do commemorate the Queenship of Mary in our church.
  • francis
    Hey. Our title is Our Lady of the Mountains... Does that allow us to celebrate the Queenship?!
  • Yes to PaixGioiaAmor.

To Francis, your titular feast would be the Assumption of Mary, unless your parish was founded by Carmelites.
  • francis
    Paul...

How did you come to that logic?
  • All churches dedicated to Mary that do not have a titular feast otherwise designated can celebrated their name's day on the Assumption. I will find the reference.
  • francis
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.
  • francis
    hmmm

does anyone have the simple propers for the Queenship?
  • Maureen
    Re: Our Lady of the Mountains, the OLM in Villamartin, Cadiz, Andalucia has their dealie celebrating their miraculous statue between August 27/30 and September 8 (which is considered the big feast day), but I believe that's partly for historical reasons of when they found the statue as well as for the feast of Mary's birthday.

There was a feast in Italy on November 26, apparently, but there seem to be a lot of towns in Italy that have Marian celebrations for their particular Madonna della Montagna or del Monte on all sorts of different Marian dates, probably for some local traditional historical reason.

So this doesn't contradict anything said above. :)