Response to Benedict's statements in 2007
  • The logic here of the entire statement seems to escape me.

Comments on a linked page of an NPR broadcast from 2007:

As a now-lapsed Catholic who grew up in the heydey of the 70s and 80s non-traditionalist, folk-inspired mass, I'm horrified by the pope's assertion that it is a less appropriate form of devotion. My faith is profoundly tied to such music, so much so that in hearing your opening sequence of the familar Catholic ditty "Gather Us In," I immediately felt an uplifting sense of joy, warmth, and community--a wonderful reminder of why I feel so fortunate to be raised Catholic in the first place.
  • Well, I'm glad that such profound music assisted him on his lifelong journey of...leaving the faith?
  • Noel,

Read more carefully. It makes perfect sense, although it needs to be rearranged slightly.

"My faith is profoundly tied to such music,...I'm horrified by the pope's assertion that it is a less appropriate form of devotion"

As a now-lapsed Catholic I feel so fortunate hearing your opening sequence of the familar Catholic ditty "Gather Us In,"

why be raised Catholic of the 70s and 80s non-traditionalist, folk-inspired mass in the first place?
  • incantuincantu
    I should like to ditto "ditty."